Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Naptha?

Winston wrote in
:

'Varnish Makers and Painter's' naptha is the only way
I've found for removing baked-on grease from metal surfaces:
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...thinners/vm-an
d-p-naphtha-thinner-618030.aspx

It's disappeared from the shelves at all the hardware stores in
my area. Some now carry a 'substitute' product in gallon cans,
but I don't want to spend over 20 bucks and then have to drive
it to Hazmat Disposal if it works as well as do most
'substitutes'.

What's a practical alternative? Gasoline?

I've had very good luck with "lacquer thinner" from a paint store. Lots of
folks have mentioned lighter fluid, and that works very well, but it's a
bit less agressive than lacquer thinner. Your problem may be that
California has banned almost any volatile solvent known to man. They are
know to cause brain damage in politicians. Ooops, too late...

Doug White