Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Naptha?

Pete C. wrote:

Winston wrote:

'Varnish Makers and Painter's' naptha is the only way
I've found for removing baked-on grease from metal surfaces:
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...er-618030.aspx

It's disappeared from the shelves at all the hardware stores in
my area. Some now carry a 'substitute' product in gallon cans,
but I don't want to spend over 20 bucks and then have to drive
it to Hazmat Disposal if it works as well as do most
'substitutes'.

What's a practical alternative? Gasoline?

Thanks!

--Winston

I've never had a problem removing such grease with "purple" industrial
degreaser.

Normal grease is easy. A little alcohol or paint thinner and
it comes right up. A few applications of commodity spray
cleaner gets it, too.

Grease that been baked on is pretty much immune to alcohol or
paint thinner or any of the degreasing cleaners I've tried.
Anything short of naptha or a wire brush gets
laughed off. I figure it's a chemical thing.

Thanks!

--Winston