Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default Central Air "Top Up" Not Allowed?

On May 31, 12:17*pm, WandererFan wrote:
On May 30, 10:19*pm, wrote:

Disappointing to hear the "dissing" of the tech in the replies,
though. *We've used this local firm for a number of years for furnace
and a/c, although they weren't the original installer (gas company
promo). * Aww well, guess it's like tools, good old names don't
necessarily mean good new tools.

I don't believe there is such a thing as a "borderline" charge nor do
I think a charge can be "topped off."

It is either properly charged or not.

If it is not, then either it was never charged correctly (majority) or
it has a leak. Systems do not use up refrigerant, they are sealed.

If it is not charged correctly, it is perfectly legal to adjust the
charge. If he knows how.

If it has a leak, it is not legal to add charge without repairing the
leak. At least, when I took the the refrigerant class for the license
that was the case; that's been a while.

So if he's saying there's a leak and he's not willing to top it off
then he's not only legal but professional.

If there's not a leak, I