Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Harbor Freight Rotary Tool

On Jun 7, 3:45*am, mm wrote:
On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 17:33:13 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
On Jun 6, 6:07*pm, mm wrote:
On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 13:18:30 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
" I have never used a real Dremel..."

You should try one. I'm sure you'd be quite surprised at the
difference between the HF Rotary Tool and a real Dremel.

It's hard to say. First I'd have to find a need to use one. Then I'd
have to find one to borrow. * I can't buy every tool that is useful.
I don't have the money. * I don't even have the space anymore.

I'm confused...you said you have a HF version and that it doesn't have
much power.

But it still worked, and I haven't used it since that one time. *Maybe
it took 15 minutes instead of 10, I don't know. *And there's an
advantage to going slower; it meant I checked more often in terms of
amount removed and took off only as much as needed. *If it had been
more powerful, I think I'm more likely to have taken off more than was
needed.

Therefore you must use it...

I've only used it once, 2 or 3 years after I bought it. *I'm willing
to spend some money for a tool I haven't used when I can predict that
I will use it. *But if the cheap model didn't exist, I would have
waited until it was definitely needed before buying the more expensive
Dremel.

I also could have removed the strike plate from my front door jamb and
used a regular file to enlarge the hole. *That would have meant
putting the strike plate back on every time I wanted to test it, but
maybe I could have marked a line on the strike plate, with crayon or
nail polish on the triangular bolt, and gotten it the first or second
time.

therefore you must have a need to use one.

What am I missing?

Above. * BTW, before I bought the HF device, I made one from a spare
sewing machine motor and a hand-held flexible extension to an electric
drill. *Like this, without the foot control, and lower quality:http://www.harborfreight.com/flexibl...d-carver-40432....
Because of the low quality of the extension and thus the internal
friction, and the low power of the motor, it had very little power. I
had the parts, so it cost me nothing. I had it for 10 years without
even needing it, but I concluded it would take maybe 10 or 20 times as
long as the cheap HF device that I later bought.

BTW2, when I searched for the OP's item in HF, I didn't come across
mine. I suppose if I knew what to call it, I could find it. Unless the
OP's model has replaced mine, but mine plugs straight into the wall
and I think has more power than the little one with the 80-piece kit.
(I wish I could search harbor freight on "Dremel substitute"!- Hide quoted text -

"If it had been more powerful, I think I'm more likely to have
taken off more than was needed."

I don't know what features your device has, but my Dremel is variable
speed. At it's lowest speed it would be tough to take off *anything*,
never mind "more than was needed."

BTW...I lucked out. When I had to replace my old B&D rotary tool,
after many years of what I thought was adequate service, I went to
Lowes.

They had a $90 Dremel kit on sale for $75, with a free engraving tool,
lots of accessories and a carrying case.

I had a few "return credit" cards in my wallet and a gift card from my
kids.

I walked out with a Dremel kit similar to this one, but with more
accessories and an engraving tool, for $7.

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-3956-02.../dp/B00006JSPB

Performance-wise it smoked the B&D rotary tool.

It's one of those tools that once you have a good one, you'll find all
sorts of reasons to use it, from grinding the nub off of pill
containers to make them non-childproof to carving pumpkins to cutting
off rusted (and shortening new) bolts to cutting slots in stripped
screws to spinning bearings to get them clean, etc. etc.