Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Harbor Freight Rotary Tool

Today's Harbor Freight add in our Sunday magazine has an 80 pc Rotary
Drill Set for $6.99. The ad shows a drill and a mess of drills. Can
I assume that the drill itself is part of the 80 pieces??? I know the
quality will be typical Harbor Freight, at best, but for the few uses
I would give it I don't need craftsman (or is it craftperson)
quality. And I don't mean Sear's Craftsman.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes. I do model making. It is fine for small jobs like that. My larger
Harbor Freight "Dremel" tool, of course, is for larger stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 10:02*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
Today's Harbor Freight add in our Sunday magazine has an 80 pc Rotary
Drill Set for $6.99. *The ad shows a drill and a mess of drills. *Can
I assume that the drill itself is part of the 80 pieces??? *I know the
quality will be typical Harbor Freight, at best, but for the few uses
I would give it I don't need craftsman (or is it craftperson)
quality. *And I don't mean Sear's Craftsman.

If it pictures the drill motor, you get the drill motor.

But like others have said, don't bother. It's only worth about $1.99
on a good day. The motor is weak, fit and finish is poor. It won't
even get your one job done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 2:39*pm, wrote:
On Jun 5, 10:02*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

Today's Harbor Freight add in our Sunday magazine has an 80 pc Rotary
Drill Set for $6.99. *The ad shows a drill and a mess of drills. *Can
I assume that the drill itself is part of the 80 pieces??? *I know the
quality will be typical Harbor Freight, at best, but for the few uses
I would give it I don't need craftsman (or is it craftperson)
quality. *And I don't mean Sear's Craftsman.

If it pictures the drill motor, you get the drill motor.

But like others have said, don't bother. It's only worth about $1.99
on a good day. The motor is weak, fit and finish is poor. It won't
even get your one job done.

OK - I'll pass on it. There was no link to show, it was a paper adv
in the Sunday supplement magazine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 3:52*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jun 6, 2:39*pm, wrote:

On Jun 5, 10:02*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

Today's Harbor Freight add in our Sunday magazine has an 80 pc Rotary
Drill Set for $6.99. *The ad shows a drill and a mess of drills. *Can
I assume that the drill itself is part of the 80 pieces??? *I know the
quality will be typical Harbor Freight, at best, but for the few uses
I would give it I don't need craftsman (or is it craftperson)
quality. *And I don't mean Sear's Craftsman.

If it pictures the drill motor, you get the drill motor.

But like others have said, don't bother. It's only worth about $1.99
on a good day. The motor is weak, fit and finish is poor. It won't
even get your one job done.

OK - I'll pass on it. *There was no link to show, it was a paper adv
in the Sunday supplement magazine.

Of course there's a link...there's *always* a link. ;-)

http://www.harborfreight.com/80-piec...kit-97626.html
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 12:52:57 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Jun 6, 2:39*pm, wrote:
On Jun 5, 10:02*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

Today's Harbor Freight add in our Sunday magazine has an 80 pc Rotary
Drill Set for $6.99. *The ad shows a drill and a mess of drills. *Can
I assume that the drill itself is part of the 80 pieces??? *I know the
quality will be typical Harbor Freight, at best, but for the few uses
I would give it I don't need craftsman (or is it craftperson)
quality. *And I don't mean Sear's Craftsman.

If it pictures the drill motor, you get the drill motor.

But like others have said, don't bother. It's only worth about $1.99
on a good day. The motor is weak, fit and finish is poor. It won't
even get your one job done.

OK - I'll pass on it. There was no link to show, it was a paper adv
in the Sunday supplement magazine.

I think I found it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/80-piec...kit-97626.html

Described as 20 dollars marked down to 10, but no one plays more games
with prices than HF. Still, 7 is as cheap as it will get, IF it is
the same as this.

I have the one that is one size bigger, from them that plugs straight
into the wall, and has a bent body at the rear. I have never used a
real Dremel, but mine doesn't seem to have much power. Still it holds
little things like the accessories below and it spins, and when my
door latch was installed so the door wouldn't latch, I used it and a
small grindstone to get the thing to latch. Took ten minutes at
least, but going slow can be a good thing. Some things I would just
do while watching tv. But that was one size up from this one.

* 16000 RPM
* 1mm, 3mm, 3/32", 1/8" collets
* Spindle lock for easy collet changes

Accessories: 25 cutoff wheel discs
1 mandrel for cutoff wheels
4 polishing cloth wheels
1 mandrel for polishing cloths
1 carbide burr
4 drill bits
4 piece collet set
2 sanding drum wheels
4 sanding drum sleeves
1 mounted nylon brush
2 wire brush wheels (steel and brass)
10 aluminum oxide mounted grinding stones
1 grinding stone
20 diamond burr bits
AC/DC adapter with 55" cord
120 volts, 60 Hz
Amps: 0.7 no load
1.2 load, 0.6 start up
Rotary tool dimensions: 4-13/16" L x 1-3/8" diameter
Shipping Weight: 1.30 lbs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 3:39*pm, wrote:
On Jun 5, 10:02*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

Today's Harbor Freight add in our Sunday magazine has an 80 pc Rotary
Drill Set for $6.99. *The ad shows a drill and a mess of drills. *Can
I assume that the drill itself is part of the 80 pieces??? *I know the
quality will be typical Harbor Freight, at best, but for the few uses
I would give it I don't need craftsman (or is it craftperson)
quality. *And I don't mean Sear's Craftsman.

If it pictures the drill motor, you get the drill motor.

But like others have said, don't bother. It's only worth about $1.99
on a good day. The motor is weak, fit and finish is poor. It won't
even get your one job done.

Of course, for $6.99 you'd get a bunch of "accessories" for your
Dremel.

There's gotta be more than $6.99 worth of bits, cut-off wheels,
collets, mandrels, etc. if you had to buy them separately.

On a related note, how come there's never any spare collet wrenches
hanging with the Dremel accessories at the home centers? At least not
at mine.

On a related related note, I keep a small flat blade screwdriver in my
Dremel kit. It's much easier to use than the screwdriver end of the
collet wrench for changing the always-shattering cut off wheels and
other mandrel mounted accessories.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 4:06*pm, mm wrote:
On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 12:52:57 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "

wrote:
On Jun 6, 2:39 pm, wrote:
On Jun 5, 10:02 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

[...]

Shipping Weight: 1.30 lbs.- Hide quoted text -

" I have never used a real Dremel..."

You should try one. I'm sure you'd be quite surprised at the
difference between the HF Rotary Tool and a real Dremel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 2:57*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 6, 3:52*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Jun 6, 2:39*pm, wrote:

On Jun 5, 10:02*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

Today's Harbor Freight add in our Sunday magazine has an 80 pc Rotary
Drill Set for $6.99. *The ad shows a drill and a mess of drills. *Can
I assume that the drill itself is part of the 80 pieces??? *I know the
quality will be typical Harbor Freight, at best, but for the few uses
I would give it I don't need craftsman (or is it craftperson)
quality. *And I don't mean Sear's Craftsman.

If it pictures the drill motor, you get the drill motor.

But like others have said, don't bother. It's only worth about $1.99
on a good day. The motor is weak, fit and finish is poor. It won't
even get your one job done.

OK - I'll pass on it. *There was no link to show, it was a paper adv
in the Sunday supplement magazine.

Of course there's a link...there's *always* a link. *;-)

http://www.harborfreight.com/80-piec...it-97626.html- Hide quoted text -

That is NOT the adv that was in our sunday paper magazine!!! So
there!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 18:07:11 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 13:18:30 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

" I have never used a real Dremel..."

You should try one. I'm sure you'd be quite surprised at the
difference between the HF Rotary Tool and a real Dremel.

It's hard to say. First I'd have to find a need to use one. Then I'd
have to find one to borrow. I can't buy every tool that is useful.
I don't have the money. I don't even have the space anymore.

You might never need a Dremel, or know you need it.
Best use I've found is the cutoff wheel on the flex extension to get
in tight spots where it's hard to get a hacksaw in.
Got the Dremel as a gift. Always wanted one, so I dropped hints.
When I realized I had it, I put it to use.
But I've only used it a few times.
My son uses his much more doing automotive work, and had gone through
most of his accessories and mine.
I managed fine without it.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 17:24:09 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 13:15:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Of course, for $6.99 you'd get a bunch of "accessories" for your
Dremel.

There's gotta be more than $6.99 worth of bits, cut-off wheels,
collets, mandrels, etc. if you had to buy them separately.

Exactly.
I almost bit just for the attachments for my Dremels, but shied away
because of shipping costs and because I just don't need them NOW.
Next time I see it on sale I'll drive the 20 minutes to pick it up
at the local HF, and get some of their other throwaway garbage.
I've been there once, and it's a cheap tool mecca.
My kid is a professional suspension mech, and has Snap-on,
Matco, etc, but still buys some tools there.
Stuff like prybars and wrenches he cuts down.
He laughed at the Snap-on guy who wanted about a hundred bucks for a
30" prybay.

I like cheap prybars. Either they work, or if not, nothing compares
to the feeling of having bent steel with my bare hands.

You might even make do with their cheap cold chisel sets if
you torch the cutting edges and quench and temper them properly.
But I have $150 in Sears giftcards, so I'll use that for the most used
hand tools. I lost my old simple slip-joint Craftsman pliers and miss
them badly. Good teeth, good grips.
Looks like somebody took most of my visegrips too.

Visegrips, definiteky better than the cheap imitations.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
" I have never used a real Dremel..."

You should try one. I'm sure you'd be quite surprised at the
difference between the HF Rotary Tool and a real Dremel.

It's hard to say. First I'd have to find a need to use one. Then I'd
have to find one to borrow. * I can't buy every tool that is useful.
I don't have the money. * I don't even have the space anymore.

I'm confused...you said you have a HF version and that it doesn't have
much power.

But it still worked, and I haven't used it since that one time. Maybe
it took 15 minutes instead of 10, I don't know. And there's an
advantage to going slower; it meant I checked more often in terms of
amount removed and took off only as much as needed. If it had been
more powerful, I think I'm more likely to have taken off more than was
needed.

Therefore you must use it...

I've only used it once, 2 or 3 years after I bought it. I'm willing
to spend some money for a tool I haven't used when I can predict that
I will use it. But if the cheap model didn't exist, I would have
waited until it was definitely needed before buying the more expensive
Dremel.

I also could have removed the strike plate from my front door jamb and
used a regular file to enlarge the hole. That would have meant
putting the strike plate back on every time I wanted to test it, but
maybe I could have marked a line on the strike plate, with crayon or
nail polish on the triangular bolt, and gotten it the first or second
time.

therefore you must have a need to use one.

What am I missing?

Above. BTW, before I bought the HF device, I made one from a spare
sewing machine motor and a hand-held flexible extension to an electric
drill. Like this, without the foot control, and lower quality:
http://www.harborfreight.com/flexibl...ver-40432.html
Because of the low quality of the extension and thus the internal
friction, and the low power of the motor, it had very little power. I
had the parts, so it cost me nothing. I had it for 10 years without
even needing it, but I concluded it would take maybe 10 or 20 times as
long as the cheap HF device that I later bought.

BTW2, when I searched for the OP's item in HF, I didn't come across
mine. I suppose if I knew what to call it, I could find it. Unless the
OP's model has replaced mine, but mine plugs straight into the wall
and I think has more power than the little one with the 80-piece kit.
(I wish I could search harbor freight on "Dremel substitute"!
Posted to alt.home.repair

drill. *Like this, without the foot control, and lower quality:http://www.harborfreight.com/flexibl...d-carver-40432....
Because of the low quality of the extension and thus the internal
friction, and the low power of the motor, it had very little power. I
had the parts, so it cost me nothing. I had it for 10 years without
even needing it, but I concluded it would take maybe 10 or 20 times as
long as the cheap HF device that I later bought.

BTW2, when I searched for the OP's item in HF, I didn't come across
mine. I suppose if I knew what to call it, I could find it. Unless the
OP's model has replaced mine, but mine plugs straight into the wall
and I think has more power than the little one with the 80-piece kit.
(I wish I could search harbor freight on "Dremel substitute"!- Hide quoted text -

"If it had been more powerful, I think I'm more likely to have
taken off more than was needed."

I don't know what features your device has, but my Dremel is variable
speed. At it's lowest speed it would be tough to take off *anything*,
never mind "more than was needed."

BTW...I lucked out. When I had to replace my old B&D rotary tool,
after many years of what I thought was adequate service, I went to
Lowes.

They had a $90 Dremel kit on sale for $75, with a free engraving tool,
lots of accessories and a carrying case.

I had a few "return credit" cards in my wallet and a gift card from my
kids.

I walked out with a Dremel kit similar to this one, but with more
accessories and an engraving tool, for $7.

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-3956-02.../dp/B00006JSPB

Performance-wise it smoked the B&D rotary tool.

It's one of those tools that once you have a good one, you'll find all
sorts of reasons to use it, from grinding the nub off of pill
containers to make them non-childproof to carving pumpkins to cutting
off rusted (and shortening new) bolts to cutting slots in stripped
screws to spinning bearings to get them clean, etc. etc.