Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Good quality screw drivers that don't smell?

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 12:53:47 -0700 (PDT), beecrofter
wrote:

On Jun 5, 2:11Â*am, "bob" wrote:
I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the xcelite
handles emits the odor.

Is there a way to permenantly clean off this odor?

For future reference, what brand of screwdrivers are of decent quality and
don't have smelly handles?

I am not sure how you would neutralize butyrate plastic stink but fwiw
the Ace hardware brand hold up pretty good and don't seem to stink.

Only time I recall that stink was back in the '80's with Craftsman
screwdrivers kept in a closed toobox.
Screwdrivers were pretty new.
Only noticed it if they sat a while in the closed box.
Still got some of them and they don't stink.
Handles have hardened up.
And I have newer Craftsman screwdrivers that never stunk, but I've
taken to keeping my screwdrivers on a rack, so they never sit in a
toolbox for long.
Never noticed the stink getting on my hands, but I usually wash my
hands after doing some work.
Don't usually sniff my fingers after grabbing a screwdriver.
Those were the only screwdrivers that caused my toolbox to stink,
and somebody here said they went to a different plastic.
So probably no screwdrivers stink nowadays.
I always look at the tip quality and shank length and don't pay
much attention to the handles anyway, as long as they aren't some
weird shape.

--Vic