Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Default Good quality screw drivers that don't smell?

I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the xcelite
handles emits the odor.

Is there a way to permenantly clean off this odor?

For future reference, what brand of screwdrivers are of decent quality and
don't have smelly handles?

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:

I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the xcelite
handles emits the odor.

Is there a way to permenantly clean off this odor?

I think the problem is that almost all screwdriver handles are made of
vinyl, which contains plasticizers that evaporate forever. If the
handle is clear or very shiney, it's probably vinyl.

The only screwdriver I've seen that uses a different plastic is the
Buck Brothers 6-in-1 screw/nut driver that Home Depot sells for
$2.97. Its handle is polyethylene (like DeWalt handheld power tools),
which has no plasticizers and is almost odorless:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...4557bd_300.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:

I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the xcelite
handles emits the odor.

Is there a way to permenantly clean off this odor?

I think the problem is that almost all screwdriver handles are made of
vinyl, which contains plasticizers that evaporate forever, or
cellulose butyrate (whatever that is). If the handle is clear or very
shiney, it's probably one of those plastics.

The only screwdriver I've seen that uses a different plastic is the
Buck Brothers 6-in-1 screw/nut driver that Home Depot sells for
$2.97. Its handle is polyethylene (like DeWalt handheld power tools),
which has no plasticizers and is almost odorless:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...4557bd_300.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob" wrote:

I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the xcelite
handles emits the odor.

Is there a way to permenantly clean off this odor?

Time. My Craftsman drivers don't smell- They are about 40 years old.

For future reference, what brand of screwdrivers are of decent quality and
don't have smelly handles?

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...411,43417&ap=1

And when you aren't working with them you can just gaze at the
Rosewood and rub them.g

I'm guessing they make lousy chisels- and I'd hesitate before I opened
a can of paint with them.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2011 5:23 AM, larry moe 'n curly wrote:

bob wrote:

I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the xcelite
handles emits the odor.

Is there a way to permenantly clean off this odor?

I think the problem is that almost all screwdriver handles are made of
vinyl, which contains plasticizers that evaporate forever, or
cellulose butyrate (whatever that is). If the handle is clear or very
shiney, it's probably one of those plastics.

The only screwdriver I've seen that uses a different plastic is the
Buck Brothers 6-in-1 screw/nut driver that Home Depot sells for
$2.97. Its handle is polyethylene (like DeWalt handheld power tools),
which has no plasticizers and is almost odorless:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...4557bd_300.jpg

Tool handles are usually cellulose acetate plasticized with phthalates.
Don't think they should smell but maybe there is trace acetic acid
that is causing odor. Cheap Chinese plastic?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob" wrote in message
I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the xcelite
handles emits the odor.

Is there a way to permenantly clean off this odor?

For future reference, what brand of screwdrivers are of decent quality and
don't have smelly handles?

**Some years ago I got a toobox and a pile of cheap tools for my wife to use
around the house. Every time I open the box, it smells like someone puked in
it.

The best screwdrivers I've ever used are made by a company called Westward,
and sold by Grainger. The handles are a gray rough plastic in a sort of oval
shape. You can get a really good grip on them, even with sweaty or greasy
hands, plus they don't smell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 8:17*am, "Roy Mottola" wrote:
"bob" wrote in message

I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the xcelite
handles emits the odor.

Is there a way to permenantly clean off this odor?

For future reference, what brand of screwdrivers are of decent quality and
don't have smelly handles?

**Some years ago I got a toobox and a pile of cheap tools for my wife to use
around the house. Every time I open the box, it smells like someone puked in
it.

The best screwdrivers I've ever used are made by a company called Westward,
and sold by Grainger. The handles are a gray rough plastic in a sort of oval
shape. You can get a really good grip on them, even with sweaty or greasy
hands, plus they don't smell

I have smelled new craftsman screwdrivers like OP has. Use them more
and leave toolbox open when not in use so smell can go away

craftman screwdrivers now RUST EASILY, no doubt a way to save money

Sears sold off the craftsman tool line to raise money, the co combined
sears k mart company is in serious danger of going out of business, or
so said a news report recently.

I avoid sears !

Their aggressive selling of credit cards, and making me wait while the
cashier processes their application ticked me off.

my turn in line, I had waited 15 minutes for others to get cards.just
3 people had been ahead of me

So I said call a manager, I asked the manager are you a retailer or a
credit card supplier?

sir were trying to provide a service to our customers.

me i waited all this time unnecessarily, you need more staff if your
going to do the card thing.

heres my merchandise you can put it back i dont want it, 500 buck sale
gone, oh and incidently my next stop in your store was for a washer
and dryer, i am headed for home depot........ i am done shopping at
sears.

apparently seras has ticked off many of its customers, sales are
reported poor

I havent bought anything there for years, except swap out some
craftsman tools, and the newer craftsman tool quality has gone down a
lot.......

I think sears will be joing montgomery ward and WT Grant soon in the
dust bin of retail history
Posted to alt.home.repair

Some of the most durable screwdrivers I have ever owned are those
cheap stanley ones with black and yellow handles, cheap and
durable.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2011 8:41 AM, bob haller wrote:
Some of the most durable screwdrivers I have ever owned are those
cheap stanley ones with black and yellow handles, cheap and
durable.....

Well, my old stanleys are red and yellow, not black and yellow, but I
was quite happy with them. Of course, that was from when they still had
a factory in New Britain CT. Not impressed with their current offerings-
no idea where they are made, or by who. They feel wrong in my hand, and
the fit and finish seems third-world.

I am more careful with my old tools now, lest they grow legs or get
damaged. And at garage sales, any orphan old hand tools that aren't beat
to death, are the first thing I look at. Not many of those out there,
since most people always bought the cheap stuff, and the people who did
buy the good stuff, if they are still breathing, aren't selling it.
Sometimes estate sales have good stuff, but the companies that usually
handle those around here price them sky-high.

Most of my 'good' tools are Craftsman from 25+ years ago. (and yeah,
the screwdrivers did stink the first few years.) My semi-disposable
tools for keeping in the cars and under the desk at work, are from
wherever I trip across something that seems 'good enough' at a price I
can stand. If I see a Sale! sign, and if they have a demo on the display
where I can actually turn it over in my hands, I'll look. I won't buy a
tool I can't handle first- been burned too many times. If a tool feels
right in the hand, it usually is decent quality. If it feels like junk,
it usually is.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message
Their aggressive selling of credit cards, and making me wait while the
cashier processes their application ticked me off.

..my turn in line, I had waited 15 minutes for others to get cards.just
3 people had been ahead of me

So I said call a manager, I asked the manager are you a retailer or a
credit card supplier?

sir were trying to provide a service to our customers.

I don't know the numbers today,but read an artical about 10 years ago where
Sears actually made about 10 times the profit off the credit cards than they
did off the murchendise.

Not sure of the rates as I do not use that card, but it is probabaly 20 to
24 % now. That is a lot of profit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-05, bob wrote:
I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the xcelite
handles emits the odor.

?????

Do you have Craftsman tools or Xcelite tools? Xcelite is not a type
of plastic, it's a brand name. While Xcelite screwdriver handles do
not have any inherent odor, that I recall, some of their containers
definitely did. Casein plastic is often made from organic proteins
and often stinks like sour milk. Xcelite interchangeable
screw/nut/allen driver sets used to come in casein plastic boxes.
Ooo-eee! Definitely stinky.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Do you have Craftsman tools or Xcelite tools? Xcelite is not a type
of plastic, it's a brand name. While Xcelite screwdriver handles do
not have any inherent odor, that I recall, some of their containers
definitely did. Casein plastic is often made from organic proteins
and often stinks like sour milk. Xcelite interchangeable
screw/nut/allen driver sets used to come in casein plastic boxes.
Ooo-eee! Definitely stinky.

I guess I confused xcelite as the name of the plastic.

However, if you search "xcelite puke" you'd find that you're lucky your
xcetite tools don't smell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
I don't know the numbers today,but read an artical about 10 years ago
where Sears actually made about 10 times the profit off the credit cards
than they did off the murchendise.

Not sure of the rates as I do not use that card, but it is probabaly 20 to
24 % now. That is a lot of profit.

Only idiots carry a balance. If you use a cash-back card and pay it in full
every month the card issuer will pay YOU instead of you paying them. I make
about $700 a year just by charging everything and I've never paid a dime in
interest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-05, bob wrote:

However, if you search "xcelite puke" you'd find that you're lucky your
xcetite tools don't smell.

It's not the driver handles, it's the case they came in. And this was
only one type of case. It was the single handle w/ changable drivers
in a 2 part top/bottom case, the bottom being black plastic and the
top being tranparent casein plastic. The top came off and the black
bottom held the handle/drivers vertically. These were later replaced
with clamshell style cases made of polystyrene (I think). The casein
cased drivers stank cuz they were in the case all the time. Removing
the drivers from the case would allow the smell to eventually fade
from the handles.

Looking at their catalog, I see none of these driver sets offered in
the older casein plastic set boxes. I guess customers made a big
enough stink (pun intended) to get them changed.

I never thought of it as a puke smell, jes a sour milk smell, as milk
is often the protein used to make casein plastic. It's rare to even run
across casein plastic, anymore, but you'll know it when you do!

nb

--
vi ...the root of evil
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,

On 2011-06-05, bob wrote:
I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the xcelite
handles emits the odor.

?????

Do you have Craftsman tools or Xcelite tools? Xcelite is not a type
of plastic, it's a brand name. While Xcelite screwdriver handles do
not have any inherent odor, that I recall, some of their containers
definitely did. Casein plastic is often made from organic proteins
and often stinks like sour milk. Xcelite interchangeable
screw/nut/allen driver sets used to come in casein plastic boxes.
Ooo-eee! Definitely stinky.

nb

I queried here some time back about stinky tools. My Craftsman
screwdrivers stink, and my Xcelite nutdrivers stink. I threw away the
Xcelite case after leaving it outside for two months in an unsuccessful
attempt to get rid of the smell. But the driver handles are just as bad.
It doesn't seem to fade with time at all. I've had the nutdrivers for at
least 20 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote in message

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
I don't know the numbers today,but read an artical about 10 years ago
where Sears actually made about 10 times the profit off the credit cards
than they did off the murchendise.

Not sure of the rates as I do not use that card, but it is probabaly 20
to 24 % now. That is a lot of profit.

Only idiots carry a balance. If you use a cash-back card and pay it in
full every month the card issuer will pay YOU instead of you paying them.
I make about $700 a year just by charging everything and I've never paid a
dime in interest.

I agree with that, and have a card that I get cash back also. Started
charging almost everything to that card just because of the cash back deal.

However there are millions of idiots in the US. Most of them do carry a
balance.

Just took out a credit card at Sams Club because they had a deal if you get
a card, you get so much money back that day.
Probably will never use it again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:

Do you have Craftsman tools or Xcelite tools? Xcelite is not a type
of plastic, it's a brand name. While Xcelite screwdriver handles do
not have any inherent odor, that I recall, some of their containers
definitely did. Casein plastic is often made from organic proteins
and often stinks like sour milk. Xcelite interchangeable
screw/nut/allen driver sets used to come in casein plastic boxes.
Ooo-eee! Definitely stinky.

I guess I confused xcelite as the name of the plastic.

However, if you search "xcelite puke" you'd find that you're lucky your
xcetite tools don't smell.

Hmmm,
In my working days my tool box was Xcelite brand which contained 3G
worth of stuffs. Old Craftsman made by Singer was real tool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-06-05, bob wrote:
I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the xcelite
handles emits the odor.

?????

Do you have Craftsman tools or Xcelite tools?

You do know that Craftsman makes nothing? Xcelite made many tools for
Craftsman. Is it a wonder they smell like XCelite tools?

Xcelite is not a type
of plastic, it's a brand name. While Xcelite screwdriver handles do
not have any inherent odor, that I recall, some of their containers
definitely did.

Wrong.

Casein plastic is often made from organic proteins
and often stinks like sour milk. Xcelite interchangeable
screw/nut/allen driver sets used to come in casein plastic boxes.
Ooo-eee! Definitely stinky.

You have it backwards. It was the handles of the tools that made the box
stink.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 5, 1:11*am, "bob" wrote:
I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the xcelite
handles emits the odor.

Is there a way to permenantly clean off this odor?

Maybe. Leave them outside in the sun for a while. Repeat as necessary.
Drill vent holes in the box.

For future reference, what brand of screwdrivers are of decent quality and
don't have smelly handles?

SnapOn, Matco and Mac tools. I've used, and still have dozens of
various types used in 40 years of DIY, auto wrenching, et al. Never,
ever had an odor problem. You get what you pay for in any pro tool
line.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote:
-snip-

Just took out a credit card at Sams Club because they had a deal if you get
a card, you get so much money back that day.
Probably will never use it again.

That's what I thought when I signed up for the $40 instant savings--
but then when I got the first bill, I see it is a cash back card, too.
3% on Sams purchases, I think. I usually only get 1% on groceries so
now I charge my Samsclub groceries on their card.

It ain't as good as it was a few years ago, but my credit cards are
still paying their rent.g

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/05/2011 11:30 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message

"Ralph wrote in message
[...]

Idiots or broke people. I carried a balance through college because I
didn't have enough/make enough money to pay for my books. Whether I
made the right decision or not I dunno. Was having this discussion last
night. I think my life would have been better if I'd either gone to a
state school or trade school instead of the expensive engineering
school, because the degree really just got me in the door at interviews
and all the good jobs I've had I was unqualified for when I started, and
both I and the interviewer knew it (but I talked my way in anyway, e.g.
"I'm smart and a fast learner, and am willing to learn and work hard")

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2011 1:11 AM, bob wrote:
I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the
xcelite handles emits the odor.

Is there a way to permenantly clean off this odor?

For future reference, what brand of screwdrivers are of decent quality
and don't have smelly handles?

Snap on.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/5/2011 2:10 PM, bob haller wrote:

Kmart sears management sold ...
craftsman and i think kenmore got sold off too.

Sears might be interested in hearing that...

http://www.searsarchives.com/brands/

Might want to do at least a _little_ checking before spouting...

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote the following:
On Jun 5, 9:48 am, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:

"bob haller" wrote in message

Their aggressive selling of credit cards, and making me wait while the
cashier processes their application ticked me off.

.my turn in line, I had waited 15 minutes for others to get cards.just

3 people had been ahead of me
So I said call a manager, I asked the manager are you a retailer or a
credit card supplier?
sir were trying to provide a service to our customers.

I don't know the numbers today,but read an artical about 10 years ago where
Sears actually made about 10 times the profit off the credit cards than they
did off the murchendise.

Not sure of the rates as I do not use that card, but it is probabaly 20 to
24 % now. That is a lot of profit.

Kmart sears management sold off ALL THEIR NON RETAIL assets to pay
down debt. Gone allstate insurance. NTB, sears card credit operation,
craftsman and i think kenmore got sold off too.

How can they sell off a brand name when they don't even make the
products under that brand.
Sears does not make anything.

sears used the non retail assets to keep their company going during
economic hard times.

well the economy sucks and sears doesnt have their safety net......

bad planning if you ask me

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:
I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the
xcelite handles emits the odor.

Is there a way to permenantly clean off this odor?

For future reference, what brand of screwdrivers are of decent quality
and don't have smelly handles?

At the other end of the spectrum,
http://www.dollartree.com/cleaning-s...ex.cat?index=0
Two screw drivers for a dollar, one a standard the other No2
Phillips. For when ur neighbor wants to borrow a screw driver......
and works for 95% of what you need when you need screw driver.
For the trophy tool dudes and those that make their living with hand
tools,
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/searc...rd=screwdriver
and if the smell really bothers ya,
http://www.bestgrowlights.com/airpur...hM 2godHmhevQ
maybe a box of Arm and Hammer in the old tool box ....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 4:33*pm, dpb wrote:
On 6/5/2011 2:10 PM, bob haller wrote:

Kmart sears management sold ...
craftsman and i think kenmore got sold off too.

Sears might be interested in hearing that...

http://www.searsarchives.com/brands/

Might want to do at least a _little_ checking before spouting...

--

SEARS HOLDINGS no longer owns the brand, they sold the brand to raise
money.

The brand lives on owned by another company, SEARS is a licensee of
the craftsman name.

The actual production of tools was always contracted out to companies
in the tool business.

few companies do it all......
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message

[...]

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

they sold off the rights to the craftsman name and bought a license
agreement to see the tools.

basic dealer realtionship.

take kenmore appliances, there never was a kenmore stove production
plant.

Sears kenmore would spec what features they want in the XXX model
stove, and put production out for bid.

winner builds the whatever and this keeps costs down

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/11 1:11 AM, bob wrote:
I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the
xcelite handles emits the odor.

Is there a way to permenantly clean off this odor?

For future reference, what brand of screwdrivers are of decent quality
and don't have smelly handles?

Have you looked at the yellow handled NAPA screwdrivers? They're
spendy but good. I can't speak to the odor issue. My tool boxes
generally don't stay closed for more than a couple days at a time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 2:11*am, "bob" wrote:
I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the xcelite
handles emits the odor.

Is there a way to permenantly clean off this odor?

For future reference, what brand of screwdrivers are of decent quality and
don't have smelly handles?

I am not sure how you would neutralize butyrate plastic stink but fwiw
the Ace hardware brand hold up pretty good and don't seem to stink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 12:53:47 -0700 (PDT), beecrofter
wrote:

On Jun 5, 2:11Â*am, "bob" wrote:
I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the xcelite
handles emits the odor.

Is there a way to permenantly clean off this odor?

For future reference, what brand of screwdrivers are of decent quality and
don't have smelly handles?

I am not sure how you would neutralize butyrate plastic stink but fwiw
the Ace hardware brand hold up pretty good and don't seem to stink.

Only time I recall that stink was back in the '80's with Craftsman
screwdrivers kept in a closed toobox.
Screwdrivers were pretty new.
Only noticed it if they sat a while in the closed box.
Still got some of them and they don't stink.
Handles have hardened up.
And I have newer Craftsman screwdrivers that never stunk, but I've
taken to keeping my screwdrivers on a rack, so they never sit in a
toolbox for long.
Never noticed the stink getting on my hands, but I usually wash my
hands after doing some work.
Don't usually sniff my fingers after grabbing a screwdriver.
Those were the only screwdrivers that caused my toolbox to stink,
and somebody here said they went to a different plastic.
So probably no screwdrivers stink nowadays.
I always look at the tip quality and shank length and don't pay
much attention to the handles anyway, as long as they aren't some
weird shape.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob wrote:

I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the xcelite
handles emits the odor.

Does it smell like vomit?

Is there a way to permenantly clean off this odor?

I dunno.

For future reference, what brand of screwdrivers are of decent quality and
don't have smelly handles?

I like Klein brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:

I never thought of it as a puke smell, jes a sour milk smell, as milk
is often the protein used to make casein plastic. It's rare to even run
across casein plastic, anymore, but you'll know it when you do!

I have a buddy who's dad was a heavy drinker. When he was growing up he
swore his dad was throwing-up in the toolbox, and confronted him on it
many times!

Posted to alt.home.repair

REAL screwdrivers always had wooden handles with a metal ferrel right
above the shaft. *Go back to the real thing and they wont stink.

not true the smell of paint may stink to some.

just lay your screwdrivers in the sun for a week, and use them enough
so the box is generally open. wiping down with fantastic or formula
409 may help too. and dont be a wimp, workers using tools shouldnt be
bothered by off odors

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 00:35:31 -0500, G. Morgan
wrote:

notbob wrote:

I never thought of it as a puke smell, jes a sour milk smell, as milk
is often the protein used to make casein plastic. It's rare to even run
across casein plastic, anymore, but you'll know it when you do!

I have a buddy who's dad was a heavy drinker. When he was growing up he
swore his dad was throwing-up in the toolbox, and confronted him on it
many times!

LOL Good one.
They should put that in a movie, but hardly anybody would get the
joke.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/05/2011 07:39 AM, bob haller wrote:
I havent bought anything there for years, except swap out some
craftsman tools, and the newer craftsman tool quality has gone down a
lot.......

Black Friday I bought a tool set at Sears, something like 300 tools in a
plastic chest. Already I've found four tools in the set with quality
problems.

The 3/8" open-end wrench won't fit around a 3/8" allen wrench.
The chrome was flaking off one of the 1/4"-drive deep sockets.
The 1/4" drive ratchet doesn't rachet.
One of the socketed torx wrenches has the rolled-on size label misaligned.

Those are just the defects I noticed out of the box. I haven't used
most of the stuff or inspected it carefully.

And the size labels on the tools are hard to read. Nowadays there is
much better technology to make the labels.