Posted to rec.woodworking
Edward Hennessey Edward Hennessey is offline

Default Now Which Miter gauge??

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 6/5/2011 11:07 PM, Edward Hennessey wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 6/5/2011 12:54 PM, Edward Hennessey wrote:

Snip

Actually my concern is how short the guide bar is when the gauge is
behind a wide board, Length of the fence is not a concern. The Incra
miter gauges have Incradabley short guide bars, as much as 8" shorter
than some of the competition.

Leonidas:

Tell you what, spec me on how wide/thick a board you
have in mind and I'll load something on the Incra and
give you feedback.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

That is mighty generous of you sir. Thank you.

Here is what I am thinking. I try not to cut anything with the miter
gauge that would require the gauge fence to go behind the front edge
of the TS.

The 1000 series have pretty shore guide bars. My concern is that the
guide bar might not wobble left or right a bit until the rest of the
track feeds into he fence. Basically can the miter gauge be wiggled
back and forth when half the of the guide bar is not engaged with the
miter slot?

L:

Approximately measured tests were conducted a little after
the sun awoke.

Observations.

*The horizontal terminal T on the end of the guide bar is
not adjustable for expansion. It has visible side-to-side and
vertical clearances.

*The 5 Teflon expansion washers are located on alternate
bar sides with two paired towards the bar front,
two paired near the front of the
of the fence (the forward fence face splits one
of the washers) and one rear of the fence.

*With the fence/protractor off the table, twisting and purely
horizontal play were evident. The weight of the unsupported
components are a prime factor in accentuating the twist.

*The table space in front of the 10" blade cut is about
9.75". The miter assembly gains adequate purchase on
the table to cut a board about 9.5" in width with a 10"
blade.

*Pushing a wide board off the table front, stability of
the Incra unit appears best maintained by slightly tilting
the forward bar upward to give the nose T contact
with the miter slot while applying a more noticeable
rightward twist to counter the leftward fence/protractor mass.

As the Incra moves forward to table contact
(even with a forward table bevel), the necessity for the
rightward twist affirms itself to avoid fence collision
with the table.

*With all that weight back of the table and shifted to one
side, I'm honestly unsure whether a longer bar would
be corrective.

The OEM fence guide on the front of the trial table saw would
be an obstruction to contriving any support for the Incra
off the table. Instead of reinventing the wheel, if your
interest persists, the Incra people should have good input
on this and the whole issue.

Also, I tried the OEM miter guage. It suffered from more
horizontal slop off and on the table. Without the big fence,
the twist was less. After I fooled with it to refine function
a long time ago, it cut close enough to dead on that I didn't
need a micrometer in the argument.

The Incra is better, the fence
is super once on the table and I haven't cut at enough fat
boards to give a firm opinion on what can be attained.

That's the qualified skinny.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey