Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Good quality screw drivers that don't smell?

In article ,

On 2011-06-05, bob wrote:
I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the xcelite
handles emits the odor.

?????

Do you have Craftsman tools or Xcelite tools? Xcelite is not a type
of plastic, it's a brand name. While Xcelite screwdriver handles do
not have any inherent odor, that I recall, some of their containers
definitely did. Casein plastic is often made from organic proteins
and often stinks like sour milk. Xcelite interchangeable
screw/nut/allen driver sets used to come in casein plastic boxes.
Ooo-eee! Definitely stinky.

nb

I queried here some time back about stinky tools. My Craftsman
screwdrivers stink, and my Xcelite nutdrivers stink. I threw away the
Xcelite case after leaving it outside for two months in an unsuccessful
attempt to get rid of the smell. But the driver handles are just as bad.
It doesn't seem to fade with time at all. I've had the nutdrivers for at
least 20 years.