Posted to alt.home.repair
larry moe 'n curly larry moe 'n curly is offline

Default Good quality screw drivers that don't smell?

bob wrote:

I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the
whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the xcelite
handles emits the odor.

Is there a way to permenantly clean off this odor?

I think the problem is that almost all screwdriver handles are made of
vinyl, which contains plasticizers that evaporate forever, or
cellulose butyrate (whatever that is). If the handle is clear or very
shiney, it's probably one of those plastics.

The only screwdriver I've seen that uses a different plastic is the
Buck Brothers 6-in-1 screw/nut driver that Home Depot sells for
$2.97. Its handle is polyethylene (like DeWalt handheld power tools),
which has no plasticizers and is almost odorless:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...4557bd_300.jpg