Posted to alt.home.repair
Josh[_5_] Josh[_5_] is offline

Default OT Wells Fargo's online banking sucks

On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 11:36:04 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

I just added Emory Hospital as an automatic payee. Wells Fargo has no
caller ID lookup so the chances of finding the address, city, state
automatically is 0. (I suggest adding this feature every time it
comes up but all I hear are crickets)

Also automatic payments has no way to send the exact amount of the
bill. I can set up payments, and I have the option of sending them
forever until I stop them, or sending xx number of payments. South
Trust had the option of "send until you pay $$$.cc."

Because all of my bills recur monthly, I rarely have to add payees so
the amount of trouble to switch banks is more trouble than to put up
with this, so all I can do is complain.

M. I. C. K. E. Y. M. O. U. S. E bank

This is why I've always used the "pull" method of automatic payment
(where you authorize the utility/school/credit card/etc to initiate an
ACH transfer each month for the bill amount), instead of the "push"
method of these bill-pay systems. I'd see if the hospital can set
that up if these are ongoing bills.

I've done this for all my recurring bills for 15+ years and never had
a problem with a bad withdrawal -- on the contrary, the one time I
tried to use "bill pay" several years ago with my credit union to pay
the rent I couldn't have autopayed via pull, on the third month they
took the money out of my account...and never sent it to the rental
agency. They did take responsibility, and refunded it along with the
late charge I paid the agency immediately, but I gave up after that.
Too much room for error/finger pointing, where with ACH withdrawal, if
the statement says "PG&E ACH $16.85", that's proof that PG&E received
that amount.

In the end, if the company pulling the money is legit, they're only
going to take what they should. If they're not...well, anyone with
your account and routing number (including someone you "bill pay" to)
can initiate a fraudulent payment anyway, so you don't really have any
more protection.

Josh