Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael B Michael B is offline

Default Timer valve to delay toilet refill?

On Jun 2, 1:30*pm, Borrall Wonnell wrote:
On Jun 1, 9:20*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:

One person[*] in our household will from time to time use too much paper,
clogging the toilet -- and then flush it two or three times, with the
predictable result, which the rest of us are getting tired of cleaning up.

Is there some sort of timer valve available, that would prevent the toilet
tank from refilling for, say, fifteen or twenty minutes after a flush?

[* -- this is an 87 year old with Alzheimer's; while education is obviously
the most desirable solution, it equally obviously ain't gonna happen]

One member of our household struggles with a similar clogging
problem. *Happy to say that it has nothing to do with Alzheimer's,
age, or the amount of TP used. *It's simply a volume issue.

An anti-clogging toilet is a good option, requires no additional
training on the part of the user. *Won't work 100% but definitely
lessens the chances of a problem.

The bulletproof fix (even for most regular toilets) is FEFO - "flush
early, flush often". *This defeats the intent of modern low-flow
toilets but I can tell you it's far preferable to the alternative
mess. *For the OP, this wouldn't work well (Alzheimer's).

Having said that, bolt-on (retrofit) automatic flushers are
available. *We had a bunch installed at work recently. *The premise is
simple...detect when a person is present and flush at the appropriate
time (when the person leaves). *I wonder if you could get one that
flushed intermittently when the person is actually sitting
down...FEFO. *Might be worth looking into, if a little startling for
the user!

Metamucil to deal with the "volume" issue. Leading to more frequent
evacuations. Need good hydration.