The Natural Philosopher

Default Home network computer/tv/sat/fm/telephone

Dave wrote:

Our house is being refurbished at the moment so I thought it would be a good
idea to put in some cabling and outlets for computer/tv/sat/fm/telephone
whilst everythings opened up. Planning to use the understairs cupboard as
the nerve centre (broadband router will be shoved in here- draytek2600) and
will use the MK Logic Plus range thoughtout so the new outlets match the
existing electrical sockets/switches.

How many network cables (CAT5e STP) would it be advisable to run to each
room in the house?

Depends on teh room. Miniumum of two I'd say. Most of my cat 5/tepelhone
sockets have a spare cable coiled inside em.

This room (nerve center office has 8 cat 5 and one tv socket, and a rats
nest of cat 5, sat coax and alarm wiring coming into a 19" rack...

Would like data and telephone connections in most rooms. Not sure whether to
use RJ45 data sockets throughout or to use these and separate BT telephone
sockets. What would you recommend? I know you can use the data network and
RJ45 sockets for the phone but how do you go about setting this up?

What I did was run cat 5, and apart from the office, simply put the
correct thing (BT master, or Ethernet) socket in in each room. Its easy
enough to cahnge, and that way I didn't have to wory abourt apperance,
and used nice bneat brassy phone sockets where its 'posh' roomspace...

Here in the office I use RJ45 to BT master tails, as its the office.

All this lot terminates in a RJ45 patch panel, and teh outputs from a
panasonic PABX are terminated there as well, and patched across.

With regards to tv/sat/fm, planning to put a 'loftbox' in the understairs
cupboard with a couple of CT100 cables running to the lounge and a single
CT100 cable runing o each bedroom. In the lounge I would have a tv/sat/fm
triplexer with additional tv and tel connections (MK part K3563 WHI) and the
bedooms I would have tv/fm diplexers. Would this meet my requirement to have
tv/sat/fm in each room? (I do understand that with this setup I would be
restricted to viewing the same sat channel in each room)

Off my patch. Don't do sat. I put a labgear amp with multiplexed FM/TV
to every room. Worjks fine - don't even bother to demux - just use a
pair of sockets hard wired together. Makes eff all difference.

Finally...

How close can the CAT5e STP, CT100 and mains cable be to one another?
(Thinking of interference here)

Keep the mains away from the cat 5 and coax. They can be run together no
probs.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice given.

Dave.