Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Now Which Miter gauge??

On 6/2/2011 8:26 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 17:21:21 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

I have been using a Kreg miter gauge for about 6-8 years now and have
been berry happy with it. Until now.

Today I pulled the brass idexing pin out and adjusted for a 22.5 degree
cut and replaced the indexing pin. Felt tight. With difficulty I
pulled it out after the cut and returned it to the 90 degree setting.
Then I had to make that 22.5 degree cut again and the brass indexing pin
would not come out. Pliers and finally vice grips would not do any
thing but twist the pin. I finally had to use a drift to bound the pin
out from the bottom side and the pin is still way too tight to put back
down the hole.

Any recommendations on another brand?

Those that might suggest the Osbourne or the Delta version need not do
so, been there done that.

Incra has been a consideration but I do often cut wide boards and I
don't want the gauge hanging off the table.

JessEm looks great but is out of production, apparently they could not
maintain tolerances.

JessEm is nice, but so is the Incra 1000HD.

Sooooooooo

..
JessEm was my first thought, unfortunately their miter gauge is no
longer in production.