Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Choice of Impact Driver ?

On Jun 2, 9:17*am, willshak wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote the following:

On Jun 2, 7:46 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

First, I've not put in 10 inch lags. Do they have hex heads,
so you can turn them with a socket wrench?

I'd be thinking pilot holes, with a corded drill. Remember
to pull out the drill often, and clear the "flutes" or
grooves in the drill bit.

And then a shot of lubricant like aerosol white lithium.

Corded impact wrench from Harbor Freight to turn the bolts.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"James" wrote in message

I am trying to choose an impact drill *(driver) that can
install 10 inch
Spax lag screws in pressure treated timbers. * Although I
would prefer a
corded model, I find very few corded models on the market.
( Am I being too
quick to want to shy away from battery operated models ?)

Has anyone here actually used an impact driver to install 10
inch lag screws
and if so, *which driver did you use for the job ?

Thank you very much !!

James

They are not lags. *

There are lag screws and lag bolts. These are lag screws. Normally
tapered to a point and not employing a nut like a lag bolt.

They are thin, hardened, long screws designed
particularly for asembly of wood that is too big to nail. *You do not
have to predrill as they are pretty thin. *You can find them in lowes
now. *They are pretty handy for big pt lumber as it's a fast way to
assemble. *They are bit pricey though. *A good powerful corded drill
will work fine. *You do not need an impact driver.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I think most people think of the hex or square headed, heavy,
galvanized, large wood screws as "lag" screws. Not sure if that is
technically accurate or not. The spax screws are really just screws,
not "lag" anything.