Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Choice of Impact Driver ?

I am trying to choose an impact drill (driver) that can install 10 inch
Spax lag screws in pressure treated timbers. Although I would prefer a
corded model, I find very few corded models on the market. ( Am I being too
quick to want to shy away from battery operated models ?)

Has anyone here actually used an impact driver to install 10 inch lag screws
and if so, which driver did you use for the job ?

Thank you very much !!

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 8:00*pm, "James" wrote:
I am trying to choose an impact drill *(driver) that can install 10 inch
Spax lag screws in pressure treated timbers. * Although I would prefer a
corded model, I find very few corded models on the market. *( Am I being too
quick to want to shy away from battery operated models ?)

Has anyone here actually used an impact driver to install 10 inch lag screws
and if so, *which driver did you use for the job ?

Thank you very much !!

I used a 1/2" B&D impact driver to install a couple or three hundred
3/8" and 1/2" lag screws when sistering joists on a commercial job.
Worked great. Only caveat was that it could easily shear off the
head. Never used Spax so I can't comment on how those screws behave.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

R, were these ten inch screws ?? And, was the B&D corded, or battery
operated ?

Also, did you pre-drill ??

Thanks !!

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 8:47*pm, "James" wrote:

R, *were these *ten inch screws *?? * *And, was the B&D *corded, or battery
operated ?

Also, did you pre-drill ??

The impact was corded and I did not drill pilots. The screws averaged
around 1/2" x 6".

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Thanks R !!

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

First, I've not put in 10 inch lags. Do they have hex heads,
so you can turn them with a socket wrench?

I'd be thinking pilot holes, with a corded drill. Remember
to pull out the drill often, and clear the "flutes" or
grooves in the drill bit.

And then a shot of lubricant like aerosol white lithium.

Corded impact wrench from Harbor Freight to turn the bolts.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"James" wrote in message
I am trying to choose an impact drill (driver) that can
install 10 inch
Spax lag screws in pressure treated timbers. Although I
would prefer a
corded model, I find very few corded models on the market.
( Am I being too
quick to want to shy away from battery operated models ?)

Has anyone here actually used an impact driver to install 10
inch lag screws
and if so, which driver did you use for the job ?

Thank you very much !!

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2011 8:00 PM, James wrote:
I am trying to choose an impact drill (driver) that can install 10 inch
Spax lag screws in pressure treated timbers.

Spax screws are a brand name of high quality german made wood screws.
They can often be used without pre-drilling because of the serrated tip
and slick coating. Lag bolts are not bolts at all. Lag bolts or screws
are large wood screws with a hex head rather than a slotted head, and
are driven with a wrench or socket rather than a screw driver. Lag
bolts almost always require a pilot hole because of the generally larger
size.

Although I would prefer a
corded model, I find very few corded models on the market. ( Am I being too
quick to want to shy away from battery operated models ?)

That would depend on how many you want to drive at once. If you often
have hundreds, perhaps a corded impact driver would be best. One of the
advantages of an impact driver is it has a hell of a lot more power than
an equal sized regular drill and at a LOT less battery usage. Another
advantage is they are effortless to use and a 10" Spax screw would drive
effortlessly, with one handed drilling. If you drive one 10" screw w/o
a pilot hole with an impact driver you will never want to go back to a
regular drill. The main disadvantage of an impact driver is they are
larger and not right for small screws like drawer pulls, cabinet hinges
and so on. They are ideal for 10" spax screws.

Has anyone here actually used an impact driver to install 10 inch lag screws
and if so, which driver did you use for the job ?

I've used mine on large screws, and they are night and day from a
regular drill. They feel effortless because about no twist is
transferred to your wrist.

I would buy a cordless, corded drills imo are now a special use tool,
not sure when they are needed anymore. I guess if I had a lot of large
holes to drill I would dig out the corded drill.

I have two corded drills, one I primarily use when mixing paint, and a
hammer drill (not impact drill) I've had for 35 years I only use for
drilling holes in concrete. I just thought of a reason for a corded
drill.... I use my hammer drill about once every couple of years... not
the best for a battery tool. My impact drill gets frequent usage.

--
Jack
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is!
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

.

"James" wrote in message

I am trying to choose an impact drill *(driver) that can
install 10 inch
Spax lag screws in pressure treated timbers. * Although I
would prefer a
corded model, I find very few corded models on the market.
( Am I being too
quick to want to shy away from battery operated models ?)

Has anyone here actually used an impact driver to install 10
inch lag screws
and if so, *which driver did you use for the job ?

Thank you very much !!

James

They are not lags. They are thin, hardened, long screws designed
particularly for asembly of wood that is too big to nail. You do not
have to predrill as they are pretty thin. You can find them in lowes
now. They are pretty handy for big pt lumber as it's a fast way to
assemble. They are bit pricey though. A good powerful corded drill
will work fine. You do not need an impact driver.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"James" wrote in message

I am trying to choose an impact drill (driver) that can
install 10 inch
Spax lag screws in pressure treated timbers. Although I
would prefer a
corded model, I find very few corded models on the market.
( Am I being too
quick to want to shy away from battery operated models ?)

Has anyone here actually used an impact driver to install 10
inch lag screws
and if so, which driver did you use for the job ?

Thank you very much !!

James

They are not lags.

There are lag screws and lag bolts. These are lag screws. Normally
tapered to a point and not employing a nut like a lag bolt.

They are thin, hardened, long screws designed
particularly for asembly of wood that is too big to nail. You do not
have to predrill as they are pretty thin. You can find them in lowes
now. They are pretty handy for big pt lumber as it's a fast way to
assemble. They are bit pricey though. A good powerful corded drill
will work fine. You do not need an impact driver.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

I have a Black and Decker.
I use a Makita 18volt but that would not hold up long to successive
bolting.
I do like though, the "pre-drill" lags made and they do come in varying
lengths, and hardness.
Simpson makes those for attaching some of their ties.
The 10" length I have never looked into, although I have looked into 6"
length.
jloomisconstruction.com

"James" wrote in message

I am trying to choose an impact drill (driver) that can install 10 inch
Spax lag screws in pressure treated timbers. Although I would prefer a
corded model, I find very few corded models on the market. ( Am I being too
quick to want to shy away from battery operated models ?)

Has anyone here actually used an impact driver to install 10 inch lag screws
and if so, which driver did you use for the job ?

Thank you very much !!

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"James" wrote in message

[...]

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

I think most people think of the hex or square headed, heavy,
galvanized, large wood screws as "lag" screws. Not sure if that is
technically accurate or not. The spax screws are really just screws,
not "lag" anything.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Hi James,

I am trying to choose an impact drill (driver) that can install 10
inch Spax lag screws in pressure treated timbers. Although I would
prefer a corded model, I find very few corded models on the market. (
Am I being too quick to want to shy away from battery operated models
?)
Has anyone here actually used an impact driver to install 10 inch lag
screws and if so, which driver did you use for the job ?

You don't need an impact driver to drive lag screws. A good driver drill
will do fine.

I've driven many 6" lag bolts using my 18V Craftsman cordless drill (not
impact). It has no trouble driving bolts like this, but the battery will
limit how many you can drive. Wild guess, I'm betting I could drive well
over a dozen 10" lags with my cordless drill.

For heavy duty driving or drilling, I turn to my corded Dewalt DW246. It is
not an impact driver, but it's geared for low RPM and has a LOT of power.
It would have no problem driving lags of any size, and would likely snap
the lag or break your arms before seizing up.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW246-2-Inch-Drill-
Keyless/dp/B00002233G/ref=sr_1_1

The DW246 isn't cheap (about $160), but it's well worth the investment.

In either case, the weak link for me has been the adapter that lets you use
a 3/8" socket in a drill. I've snapped a few of these over the years, so
make sure you have a spare on hand.

Good luck,

Anthony Watson
Mountain Software
www.mountain-software.com
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"James" wrote in message

[...]

Perhaps, but Spax sells screws and they sell lags. The OP said lag screws.
http://www.spax.com/usa/
Hover over the Product Overview drop down, then click on the third item
down in the drop down 'Spax Lags'

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

James wrote:
I am trying to choose an impact drill (driver) that can install 10
inch Spax lag screws in pressure treated timbers. Although I would
prefer a corded model, I find very few corded models on the market. ( Am I
being too quick to want to shy away from battery operated
models ?)
Has anyone here actually used an impact driver to install 10 inch lag
screws and if so, which driver did you use for the job ?

Thank you very much !!

I've used my air impact wrench successfully for this job, with pilot holes.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 2, 8:22*am, "jloomis" wrote:
I have a Black and Decker.
I use a Makita 18volt *but that would not hold up long to successive
bolting.

snip

Can't agree.
I've had a Makita 18 V impact for some three years on a couple of big
rehabs and it has never even slowed up, even on some corner post work
with 6 inch screws. Still going strong, best tool in the box for
putting together serious framing. Senco framer gets used less and less
these days except for the jobs where ring shanks work well.

Joe

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Oh, nuts. You're screwed.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"willshak" wrote in message
m...

There are lag screws and lag bolts. These are lag screws.
Normally
tapered to a point and not employing a nut like a lag bolt.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2011 7:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Oh, nuts. You're screwed.

groan

Next thing you know, someone will screw up the job.

Just so I'm on topic--I use an air-impact when doing stuff like this.
They work much better than electric, IMHO.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2011 6:57 AM, PeterD wrote:
On 6/3/2011 7:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Oh, nuts. You're screwed.

groan

Next thing you know, someone will screw up the job.

Just so I'm on topic--I use an air-impact when doing stuff like this.
They work much better than electric, IMHO.

25+ years ago, I had a B&D 1/2" electric impact wrench that worked great
at driving lag screws or working on my vehicles. It was a bit larger
than an air tool but it seemed to be just as strong and I didn't have to
drag an air compressor around to use it. The new cordless impact tools
of all sizes are nothing short of amazing to me, especially those with
the newer Lithium-Ion battery technology. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

FYI, an impact driver is a hand held device that is struck by a hammer to
release or tighten large screw head fasteners.

Steve

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

I can't afford a compressor big enough to effectively feed
air tools. The plug in impact sure has been useful.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"PeterD" wrote in message

Just so I'm on topic--I use an air-impact when doing stuff
like this.
They work much better than electric, IMHO.

--
I'm never going to grow up.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Yes, those Li Ion cells are having an impact.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

25+ years ago, I had a B&D 1/2" electric impact wrench that
worked great
at driving lag screws or working on my vehicles. It was a
bit larger
than an air tool but it seemed to be just as strong and I
didn't have to
drag an air compressor around to use it. The new cordless
impact tools
of all sizes are nothing short of amazing to me, especially
those with
the newer Lithium-Ion battery technology. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2011 6:57 AM, PeterD wrote:
On 6/3/2011 7:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Oh, nuts. You're screwed.

groan

Next thing you know, someone will screw up the job.

Just so I'm on topic--I use an air-impact when doing stuff like this.
They work much better than electric, IMHO.

25+ years ago, I had a B&D 1/2" electric impact wrench that worked great
at driving lag screws or working on my vehicles. It was a bit larger
than an air tool but it seemed to be just as strong and I didn't have to
drag an air compressor around to use it. The new cordless impact tools
of all sizes are nothing short of amazing to me, especially those with
the newer Lithium-Ion battery technology. ^_^

TDD

I won't argue that point with you, I have worked some major miracles
with battery tools too... One thing I found was most demanding was high
power, short cycle use. That seemed to drain batteries very quickly.

Nice thing about air is that you have a source of power for your nail
guns too... g

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2011 3:30 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Yes, those Li Ion cells are having an impact.

I wonder if we should have a donation jar for bad puns... After all they
are having an impact on the group overall... groan

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On 6/7/2011 7:18 AM, PeterD wrote:
[...]

Air works great with my pneumatic bumper jack too. Of course, if I want
to pick up something faster, I have my dry nitrogen cylinders which are
usually filed to 2000psi. I can set the regulator for around 600psi if
I remember right. I can run an air tool as fast as a NASCAR team member.
^_^

TDD

impact driver andrew UK diy 8 December 21st 08 10:50 PM
Impact driver. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 36 June 23rd 08 05:49 PM
Impact Driver update FYI The Medway Handyman UK diy 1 June 15th 08 03:18 PM
Trend 12v Impact Driver Doctor Drivel UK diy 3 February 4th 08 01:11 AM
Makita Impact Driver The Medway Handyman UK diy 40 May 20th 07 09:13 AM