Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Now Which Miter gauge??

On 6/2/2011 6:44 AM, Han wrote:
Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Thanks for the review. At the moment my biggest problem with the Incras
equiped with the flip stop and expandable fence is the hassle of
switching sides.

The Kreg takes a couple of seconds with no tools, but it is not
expandable. The Incra appears to take perhaps 5 minutes to switch from
the left to the right side of the blade. And yes I use both sides about
evenly.

What I have is the same or similar. Switching between left and right of
sawblade isn't much of a problem. A bigger one might be that it really
needs to have the full width(depth) of the fence on the saw table.
And, for smaller things I'd like some better holddown method ...

Do you not find switching the fence extension to the other side a
problem/PIA? In my case I might do this 3`4 times a day. With the Kreg
you loosen 2 wing nuts, slide the fence and tighten the wing nuts. But
then again I have no fence extension.I guess I could leave the fence
extension off un less I needed to use it....There is a thought.

For small pieces I use the eraser on the end of a new pencil as a hold
down.

Opinion of a newbie at the craft, but I have had this miterfence for quite
a while ...