Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Now Which Miter gauge??

On 6/1/2011 11:08 PM, Edward Hennessey wrote:

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message
m...

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
I have been using a Kreg miter gauge for about 6-8 years now and have
been berry happy with it. Until now.

Today I pulled the brass idexing pin out and adjusted for a 22.5
degree cut and replaced the indexing pin. Felt tight. With difficulty
I pulled it out after the cut and returned it to the 90 degree
setting. Then I had to make that 22.5 degree cut again and the brass
indexing pin would not come out. Pliers and finally vice grips would
not do any thing but twist the pin. I finally had to use a drift to
bound the pin out from the bottom side and the pin is still way too
tight to put back down the hole.

Any recommendations on another brand?

Those that might suggest the Osbourne or the Delta version need not
do so, been there done that.

Incra has been a consideration but I do often cut wide boards and I
don't want the gauge hanging off the table.

JessEm looks great but is out of production, apparently they could
not maintain tolerances.

Sooooooooo

L:

Looks like there was one slip in my head.
The paragraph below is ammended for sense.

There was one slip in the directions. You need to loosen
the clamp knob before peforming continuous angle
adjustments in step 2 of "Changing Angle Settings".
Honestly, if A GUY GETS that far and DOESN'T do it, put
the traffic cone on the head...but they mentioned it
where appropriate elsewhere and should have there.

I think I understood the first time.. ;~) Im a partial mind reader.