Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Now Which Miter gauge??

On 6/1/2011 8:12 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article5bKdnagi5snZUHvQnZ2dnUVZ5uGdnZ2d@giganews. com, lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

On 6/1/2011 6:20 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In articlenpKdnXUORqgfJnvQnZ2dnUVZ5oydnZ2d@giganews. com, lcb11211
@swbelldotnet says...

I have been using a Kreg miter gauge for about 6-8 years now and have
been berry happy with it. Until now.

Today I pulled the brass idexing pin out and adjusted for a 22.5 degree
cut and replaced the indexing pin. Felt tight. With difficulty I
pulled it out after the cut and returned it to the 90 degree setting.
Then I had to make that 22.5 degree cut again and the brass indexing pin
would not come out. Pliers and finally vice grips would not do any
thing but twist the pin. I finally had to use a drift to bound the pin
out from the bottom side and the pin is still way too tight to put back
down the hole.

First thing I'd do is call Kreg and see if they have any sage advice.

Any recommendations on another brand?

Those that might suggest the Osbourne or the Delta version need not do
so, been there done that.

Incra has been a consideration but I do often cut wide boards and I
don't want the gauge hanging off the table.

I don't understand what you mean by "hanging off the table". If you
mean you want a gage without an attached fence, Incra has several of
them, and the fence can be removed from any of them without any
difficulty.

Say your board is 12" wide, most all but the smallest of gauges have to
hang off the front side of the fence to allow room for the board to
sit. The higher end Incras typically stick out way back behind the
fence. Basically I am not too sure how much of the guide bar ends up
being out of the slot.

About as much as on the miter gage that typically comes with the saw.

You're not obligated to use the Incra fence with the Incra miter gage.
If it's too thick you can bolt on a piece of blind stop molding or
whatever else you find to be of appropriate thickness.

So far you would have to be a mind reader to have a clue what I am
talking about, that is not your fault. ;~)

What I am really trying to say is I am more concerned with what is
actually behind the miter gauge fence. The fence is not the problem as
much as the miter gauge it self, behind the fence.

My Kreg jig guide bar is 24" long, 16" is in front of the fence and the
gauge itself is only 6" deep. The incra jigs tend to use up a lot of
the bar behind the fence. It appears in the pictures that perhaps a
much greater portion of some Incra guide bars may be hanging off the
front edge of the TS when cutting wide boards or panels. I see that a
possible problem if only 10~12 inches of the bar is in front of the
fence. Ill have to take a hands on look.