Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Central Air "Top Up" Not Allowed?

On Tue, 31 May 2011 05:52:09 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote
If the new owner wants new air it's HIS problem to fix it, as long as
you disclose that the central air is "there and functional for the
time being". (Assuming) You are selling the house at the price it
would sell for with no AC so if it works it's a bonus.

That is true, but. . . . . .

How does it really affect the selling price? Let's say the new unit is
$6000. What is the difference in selling price of the house with the old
unit versus a brand new energy efficient unit? Can you get your money back?
Many people seem to want to just move in and have everything perfect, not
have to lift a finger. I've watched a couple of TV shows where people
rejected a house because of ugly paint in a room. For $15 and an hour
labor, you get the color of your choice.

Anyone with any brains would never pay the cost of a newish
airconditioner more for a house just because it has a new ish air
conditioner. Putting a new one in under their name gets THEM the
warranty. If selling the house I'd get an estimate for a replacement
and tell the buyer they can have that off the normal selling price or
you'll put it in for them (pay to have it done).

I've seen too many cases where a new AC unit is installed, and the new
buyer decides they want a different super high efficiency, quiet, or
what-ever furnace - and the brand new A/C gets pitched along with the
old furnace as the buyer gets a "package deal" on the new system.
Personally, I'd low ball the bid by $10,000 and choose the brand and
installer of my choice but some non-mechanical types just want to set the
thermostat and be cool. That 20 year old unit can die tomorrow, but it may
go another 20 years too. Bit of a crap shoot.

Mine is 30 years old and still going. Replacing it is less than $4000.
I replaced the furnace several years ago and left the old AC - after
talking to the contractor he agreed "they will only go DOWN in price"
and the savings between the old and the new for the few days we
actually run it, would take twice the lifetime of the unit to pay for
itself.
Any realtors here have a comment?