Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ? Coldest place in a fridge

On 5/31/2011 11:49 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On May 28, 2:06 pm, "Bob-tx"No Spam no contact wrote:
In an ordinary refrigerator / top freezer, where is it the coldest; top
shelf or bottom?

Since warm air rises, it would seem that the bottom would be coldest, but I
have
heard that the top shelf is colder, but I don't know why that would be.

Does anyone know for sure, and why?

Thanks, Bob-tx

Everybody should have a thermometer in their refrigerator, and
check occasionally that the fridge is maintaining a safe temperature.

Given that, just move the thermometer around to find the Coldspot.

Cindy Hamilton

There isn't supposed to be a cold spot, the whole idea is for the temp
to be uniform throughout the closed off sections. I've seen fridges with
drawers that had separate little adjustable vents to vary the temp
a little in that drawer. You can make a cold spot by playing with the
airflow in a refrigerator. Find out where the air outlet from the
freezer compartment is and place pieces of cardboard of different sizes
on that shelf to manipulate the flow of cold air. Besides, I work on
refrigeration units and I have all sorts of infrared and thermocouple
thermometers I use to try make sure I get uniform temps. ^_^

If you're interested in finding a cold spot:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ed+thermometer

TDD