Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ? Coldest place in a fridge

In an ordinary refrigerator / top freezer, where is it the coldest; top
shelf or bottom?

Since warm air rises, it would seem that the bottom would be coldest, but I
have
heard that the top shelf is colder, but I don't know why that would be.

Does anyone know for sure, and why?

Thanks, Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Bob-tx No Spam no contact typed:
In an ordinary refrigerator / top freezer, where is it
the coldest; top shelf or bottom?

Since warm air rises, it would seem that the bottom would
be coldest, but I have
heard that the top shelf is colder, but I don't know why
that would be.
Does anyone know for sure, and why?

Thanks, Bob-tx

When compressor is running, top is usually coldest. Bottom warmest. Just the
opposite during times compressor is not running and warm air rises to the
top.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2011 2:10 PM, Twayne wrote:
In ,
Bob-txNo Spam no contact typed:
In an ordinary refrigerator / top freezer, where is it
the coldest; top shelf or bottom?

Since warm air rises, it would seem that the bottom would
be coldest, but I have
heard that the top shelf is colder, but I don't know why
that would be.
Does anyone know for sure, and why?

Thanks, Bob-tx

When compressor is running, top is usually coldest. Bottom warmest. Just the
opposite during times compressor is not running and warm air rises to the
top.

Simple enough to check- buy a pair of accurate thermometers, and put one
on the top shelf and one on the bottom. Get a notepad, and every time
you wander by, log the temps, and if you can hear it running.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 28 May 2011 13:06:21 -0500, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact
wrote:

In an ordinary refrigerator / top freezer, where is it the coldest; top
shelf or bottom?

Since warm air rises, it would seem that the bottom would be coldest, but I
have
heard that the top shelf is colder, but I don't know why that would be.

Does anyone know for sure, and why?

I know why, The top is closer to the cooling coils. Isn't that why
for decades freezers were on the top? Then the cold air sinks so it
all sort of even outs. I presume there are extra costs in putting
the freezer on the bottom, like maybe a big set of coils for the
freezer and a second smaller set for the top of the fridge. ??

The fact that so many people will buy the more expensive one, not just
rich people, is another sign that our standard of living is creeping
up, even as many, including some of the same people, complain about
the cost of gas, the cost of food, etc. OTOH, it might be a one-time
cost. I don't know if freezer-at-the-bottom use more electricity or
not.

OT3H, I don't know how long new fridges last. Mine is 32 years old
and I've abused it, by letting it run with the vents in front of the
fridge obstructed, and by letting it run when the little fan in the
bottom wasn't spinning, for a couple months. I don't really know how
much abuse this represents. I've treated the inside as gently as a
baby.

Thanks, Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On May 28, 2:06*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
In an ordinary refrigerator / top freezer, where is it the coldest; top
shelf or bottom?

Since warm air rises, it would seem that the bottom would be coldest, but I
have
heard that the top shelf is colder, but I don't know why that would be.

Does anyone know for sure, and why?

Thanks, * *Bob-tx

The meat tray is coldest, every time it defrosts it warms for 45
minutes. I measured both compartments with logger. The freezer changes
the most. If the vents are blowing at the food directly, they will be
the coldest.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:
In an ordinary refrigerator / top freezer, where is it the coldest; top
shelf or bottom?

Since warm air rises, it would seem that the bottom would be coldest,
but I have
heard that the top shelf is colder, but I don't know why that would be.

Does anyone know for sure, and why?

Thanks, Bob-tx

They've invented this thing called a thermometer.
It can actually answer the question for YOUR particlar case without
ambiguity.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 28 May 2011 21:01:55 -0700 (PDT), zek
wrote:

On May 28, 2:06*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
In an ordinary refrigerator / top freezer, where is it the coldest; top
shelf or bottom?

Since warm air rises, it would seem that the bottom would be coldest, but I
have
heard that the top shelf is colder, but I don't know why that would be.

Does anyone know for sure, and why?

Thanks, * *Bob-tx

The meat tray is coldest, every time it defrosts it warms for 45

Where is this meat tray?

minutes. I measured both compartments with logger. The freezer changes
the most. If the vents are blowing at the food directly, they will be
the coldest.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 30 May 2011 12:53:56 GMT, Marina wrote:

mm wrote in
:

wrote:

On May 28, 2:06*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
In an ordinary refrigerator / top freezer, where is it the coldest;
top shelf or bottom?

Since warm air rises, it would seem that the bottom would be
coldest, but I have
heard that the top shelf is colder, but I don't know why that would
be.

Does anyone know for sure, and why?

Thanks, * *Bob-tx

The meat tray is coldest, every time it defrosts it warms for 45

Where is this meat tray?

Read it on the front of the tray.

Okay. When should I come over?

minutes. I measured both compartments with logger. The freezer changes
the most. If the vents are blowing at the food directly, they will be
the coldest.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2011 1:06 PM, Bob-tx wrote:
In an ordinary refrigerator / top freezer, where is it the coldest; top
shelf or bottom?

Since warm air rises, it would seem that the bottom would be coldest,
but I have
heard that the top shelf is colder, but I don't know why that would be.

Does anyone know for sure, and why?

Thanks, Bob-tx

perhaps a thermometer could tell a story.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 2:06*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
In an ordinary refrigerator / top freezer, where is it the coldest; top
shelf or bottom?

Since warm air rises, it would seem that the bottom would be coldest, but I
have
heard that the top shelf is colder, but I don't know why that would be.

Does anyone know for sure, and why?

Thanks, * *Bob-tx

Everybody should have a thermometer in their refrigerator, and
check occasionally that the fridge is maintaining a safe temperature.

Given that, just move the thermometer around to find the Coldspot.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Everybody should have a thermometer in their refrigerator, and
check occasionally that the fridge is maintaining a safe temperature.

I can tell my fridge is working, because the food and beverages I take
from it are cold.

Given that, just move the thermometer around to find the Coldspot.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2011 11:49 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On May 28, 2:06 pm, "Bob-tx"No Spam no contact wrote:
In an ordinary refrigerator / top freezer, where is it the coldest; top
shelf or bottom?

Since warm air rises, it would seem that the bottom would be coldest, but I
have
heard that the top shelf is colder, but I don't know why that would be.

Does anyone know for sure, and why?

Thanks, Bob-tx

Everybody should have a thermometer in their refrigerator, and
check occasionally that the fridge is maintaining a safe temperature.

Given that, just move the thermometer around to find the Coldspot.

Cindy Hamilton

There isn't supposed to be a cold spot, the whole idea is for the temp
to be uniform throughout the closed off sections. I've seen fridges with
drawers that had separate little adjustable vents to vary the temp
a little in that drawer. You can make a cold spot by playing with the
airflow in a refrigerator. Find out where the air outlet from the
freezer compartment is and place pieces of cardboard of different sizes
on that shelf to manipulate the flow of cold air. Besides, I work on
refrigeration units and I have all sorts of infrared and thermocouple
thermometers I use to try make sure I get uniform temps. ^_^

If you're interested in finding a cold spot:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ed+thermometer

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2011 4:22 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 31 May 2011 15:11:24 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

If you're interested in finding a cold spot:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ed+thermometer

Watched a home inspector use similar. Point it at the AC vent and
read temps from the register.

I have several digital and analog thermocouple meters and a couple of
infrared units along with an armload of different small and pocket
digital and analog thermometers. I crawled out of bed yesterday and
fixed a refrigerated pizza make line for a customer yesterday. What's
a vacation or a day off again? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 May 2011 09:49:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On May 28, 2:06*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
In an ordinary refrigerator / top freezer, where is it the coldest; top
shelf or bottom?

Since warm air rises, it would seem that the bottom would be coldest, but I
have
heard that the top shelf is colder, but I don't know why that would be.

Does anyone know for sure, and why?

Thanks, * *Bob-tx

Everybody should have a thermometer in their refrigerator, and
check occasionally that the fridge is maintaining a safe temperature.

We do. It's on the door in pretty blue LEDs, both the fridge and freezer
temp.

Given that, just move the thermometer around to find the Coldspot.

The fridge is too heavy to move around. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Isn't it easier to ask on usenet, quote aristotle, or read
PDF files from the manufacturer?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in
message news:4c43b29a-fe85-4116-a9a3-

Everybody should have a thermometer in their refrigerator,
and
check occasionally that the fridge is maintaining a safe
temperature.

Given that, just move the thermometer around to find the
Coldspot.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was at ceiling level of a restaurant today. When I pointed
my IR at the condensing unit and said 175, I knew it needed
help. Ceiling temp only about 135.

The pistol grip IR from HF was a POS, so I took it back. The
one from Johnstone was much better.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ed+thermometer

Watched a home inspector use similar. Point it at the AC
vent and
read temps from the register.

I have several digital and analog thermocouple meters and a
couple of
infrared units along with an armload of different small and
pocket
digital and analog thermometers. I crawled out of bed
yesterday and
fixed a refrigerated pizza make line for a customer
yesterday. What's
a vacation or a day off again? ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2011 9:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I was at ceiling level of a restaurant today. When I pointed
my IR at the condensing unit and said 175, I knew it needed
help. Ceiling temp only about 135.

The pistol grip IR from HF was a POS, so I took it back. The
one from Johnstone was much better.

Both my IR thermometers came from Johnstone, I have the Raytek and a
smaller pocket unit that works well.

TDD