Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Changing out a fuse box

On Mon, 30 May 2011 18:46:01 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2011 17:50:19 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

Do they make a circuit breaker panel that will mount in an old fuse
box? I have a friend that wants to get an old house ready to rent.
The house is small but it is really nice. Here are two pictures of
the fuse box. It has a GE cover that is listed at 150A. The box
measures 14.5 by 24 by 3.75. No markings on the service entrance
cable that tells what size the wire is.

He wants to just remove the old guts and update it to circuit
breakers. The bottom left fuse block is hot on both sides even with
the fuses removed. In the extreme lower left there is a fuse block
that is not being used.

Since he is an old friend, I offered to have a look at it for him,
but I really don't know what to tell him short of tearing the house
down and start from scratch. I know that is not what he wants to
hear. The insulation on the wire looks so brittle I don't want to
touch it. The house is in rural Georgia.

http://imgur.com/NP8xV&UucAD
http://imgur.com/NP8xV&UucADl

Cuttler Hammer has some retrofit panelboards.

Do they fit GE boxes? I called two GE supply places in Atlanta and
both people gave me a direct "no"

It seems unnecessary to remove a perfectly good box that was made for
electrical connections and replace it with a box made for an
electrical connections.

I don't expect the mounting holes to match, but the box could be
tapped to hold a new set of guts.