Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default NEED FREON 134A.......STILL OR, A REASONABLE FACSILIMIE

Pete C. wrote:

"." wrote:

On 5/30/2011 9:04 PM, justme wrote:
Recently, I was whining about the central Texas heat and the price of
a 30 lb. jug of R-134A. Well, I got results in the form of all kinds
of suggestions and comments but I wound up being confused.

I sure would like a concrete suggestion as what to do instead of
spending my life's savings on a $200.00 30lb. jug of it from Sam's',
plus the cost of a membership.

I'll take a swag that the U.S. is the highest in the cost of Freon.

Thanks, US Gov't. NOT.

Joe

so, given solid evidence that flurochlorocarbons, specifically freon,
destroy the ozone layer and cause serious trouble,

Where is this mythical "solid evidence" that this has ever occurred?
Fluorocarbons certainly react with ozone in the lab, everything reacts
with O3 since it's unstable. Fluorocarbons however are heavy molecules,
tend to stay at ground level and decompose when exposed to high heat as
when sucked into a cars engine or a home furnace. I find no evidence
that Fluorocarbons ever make it as high up as the ozone layer in any
quantity. There is solid evidence however that the noted polar hole in
the ozone layer is directly related to cyclical variations in the amount
of UV radiation hitting the polar regions, which is what creates the
ozone in the first place.

and given that after
banning the use of R-12 the hole largely healed,

Correlation is not causation, and there is significant lag between a
phased in ban and any direct effect, which clearly shows that there is
unlikely to be causation.

R-12 is still *widely* used and produced in the 3rd
world.

And its banning in 1st world countries was supported
by Dow, who stood to vastly increase their franchise
by producing a patented, more expensive substitute
mandated by law.