Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Changing out a fuse box

On May 30, 4:50*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
Do they make a circuit breaker panel that will mount in an old fuse
box? *I have a friend that wants to get an old house ready to rent.
The house is small but it is really nice. *Here are two pictures of
the fuse box. *It has a GE cover that is listed at 150A. *The box
measures 14.5 by 24 by 3.75. *No markings on the service entrance
cable that tells what size the wire is.

He wants to just remove the old guts and update it to circuit
breakers. *The bottom left fuse block is hot on both sides even with
the fuses removed. *In the extreme lower left there is a fuse block
that is not being used.

Since he is an old friend, *I offered to have a look at it for him,
but I really don't know what to tell him short of tearing the house
down and start from scratch. *I know that is not what he wants to
hear. *The insulation on the wire looks so brittle I don't want to
touch it. *The house is in rural Georgia.

http://imgur.com/NP8xV&UucADhttp://i...m/NP8xV&UucADl

--
O'Neil to General Hammond:
For the record Sir, I wanted to blow it the hell up.

There are plug-in fuse replacements that are circuit breakers. That
would be a LOT CHEAPER than what you are proposing, and should work
just about as well. It also saves you from having to get a permit and
having to update all the wiring to the present NEC codes.