Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default OT.US car manufacturer finally moves into the 20th century.

On 5/30/2011 8:27 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Didn't keep a lot of them very long? The Detroits of the '70s through to at
least the mid-'80s were serious buckets of bolts....

Well, let's see...'55 Ford had an encounter w/ the bull that pretty well
put it out of commission. Hardly the car's fault. It was 5yo at
the time. The Rambler was a choice for a kid looking for a little
cooler ride. The Impala 6 w/ me; it was still on the streets in
Lynchburg when we left about 9 years later; I'd see it fairly
frequently. The Charger which I let go purely because of the limited
room w/ kids; everything else was quite a spell...

77 Olds was 15 when if finally was retired by second son
84 Olds is still on the road part time w/ a friend in TN
88 Olds was also about 15; don't recall when elder daughter finally
traded it but it was 200k by quite a sizable number.
72 1/2T is now almost 30 and still in service as work truck.

That's pretty decent longevity overall, imo...