Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default OT.US car manufacturer finally moves into the 20th century.

On 5/30/2011 5:47 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

It's not junk, though. It certainly *was*, but that was more than 20 years
back.

Folks keep saying that, but doesn't match my experience.

'55 Ford -- 100k; suffered badly when the bull got out and tried to run
it over...

'60 Rambler - 80k; Dad bought it w/o asking for replacement of the Ford;
was a nice little car; but not cool enough so when could scrape up
enough cash got
'63 Chevy Impala 2D HT; 150k running well when sold for first (and only
from showroom) new car after first job
'69 Charger -- vroom, vroom! need I say more? Followed by
'72 Buick Centurion in midst of gas crisis it was a bargain but by then
the Charger was outgrown as third young'un arrived
'78 Olds 88
'84 Olds 88 (the only one of the lot w/ any major problem; I blame the
Quaker State oil not the car though for an early rod failure from loss
of lube. Rebuilt the engine and it ran for another 150k thru two kids
'88 Olds 88 (yeah, had a relationship w/ Olds dealer in Oak Ridge by
then was eventually willed to elder daughter who put over 220k on it
'99 Chrysler 300M -- my "senior crisis" retirement present--100k when
traded it on
'10 Buick Enclave AWD only 'cuz when moved to the farm w/ the dirt roads
the 300M touring suspension was so hard shake teeth out altho great on
highway and was low so not at all a good "mud" car. The Enclave w/ 19"
rims and AWD works well on both counts (altho I'd surely like to test it
on mud far more frequently than have for the last 18 months).

Oh, doesn't include wife's LeSabres since we came back to KS.

Or, the '72 Chevy 1/2T that gave to good friend in TN who still using it
in his plumbing business. I gave it a new cam at 120k around '90 or so.

On farm, still use the '58 Chevy C60 altho it's not the frontline truck
any longer, it's been surpassed by tractor/trailer simply owing to size
any more but it's never had a valve cover off as yet.

All in all, in roughly 50 years of 'merican vehicles, I've not had one
I'd classify as a poor choice or a maintenance problem.