Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default New linoleum over old linoleum?

On Mon, 30 May 2011 14:42:49 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On May 30, 5:32*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On May 30, 12:58*pm, BCDrums wrote:

We have a three-season porch, not insulated, not over a foundation,
but watertight with windows all around. It currently has linoleum (or
vinyl sheet flooring, if that's what it's called today) on the floor
that has been there for 20 years. May I install new linoleum over it?
Or must I remove it?

If I put new over the old, I presume I would have to glue it down,
true?

Thanks.

BC
Floored

you have to get the old surface meticulously clean or any little piece
of dirt will telegraph right thru the new flooring as a bump

geez your far better off to remove all the old surface and start
over.....

less chance of wierd troubles

Don't you then have to make the old surface very smooth?

For what it's worth, I put bought vinyl linoleum for my NY apartment
and they were going to deliver and install it the next day. Took out
everything including the sink but there was one 6 square inch hole in
the current real (smooth, not embossed) linoleum floor. No time to go
shopping and the only thing I had was spackle.

I put down spackle and it worked fine for 9 years until I left. I
don't know how long after that. No shadow of the hole showed through.
Even though I walked over this spot to get to my bedroom.