WoodChuck34

Default Thoughts On Why We Are Getting Our Ass Kicked

Larry Jaques wrote in message . ..
On 12 Feb 2004 10:20:34 -0800, (WoodChuck34)
brought forth from the murky depths:

Anyone interested in researching this problem should read

"The New Industrial State" by John Kenneth Galbraith

It may open some eyes.

I see 2 editions in my library system; 2nd ca. 1971 and
3rd ca. 1978. What year was yours put out? How quick
are the 438 pages to read? Is the info still timely?

I picked up Amy Chua's "World On Fi How Exporting Free
Market Democracy Breeds Ethnic Hatred and Global Instability"
at the library today. That and "The Pleasure of Finding
Things Out: The best short works of Richard Feynman".
I'll probably have more fun with the latter, y'think?

I checked for my copy last night and I couldn't find it, so I'll have
to do a more thorough search. I can't remember what the copyright is
but as far as timeliness, I read it for an economics class in college
(call Problems with the American Economy, incidentally) in 1994.

Like any Economist, he makes certain assumptions, but I think after
reading the book it certainly explains why we've become a service
oriented economy and gives you some direction for the future even if
his theories are not 100% accurate.

Enjoy!