Posted to alt.home.repair

Default subsurface for tiles half bath (shower)

On Mon, 30 May 2011 12:18:55 -0600, Uno wrote:

I'm at the point in a bathroom remodel where I'm gonna hang the walls
for a half-bath, that is, an enclosed shower. I live in Albuquerque,
where the relative humidity is usually near 20%, so a lot of the things
that happen in other places simply don't happen here.

The shower will be enclosed with tile. My question is whether treated
drywall will be alright as a subsurface, or will I live to regret
wanting to go that way? I find drywall easier to work with than
hardibacker, as well as cheaper.

What do you think?

Use Hardibacker, or equivalent. Sheetrock is not intended to be used in wet
locations. Sheetrock is a little cheaper, sure, but do you want to do this
job again? I don't find Hardibacker that much more difficult than sheetrock,
just be a little more careful with the dust. Cutting it outside is good. ;-)