Posted to alt.home.repair

Default subsurface for tiles half bath (shower)

I'm at the point in a bathroom remodel where I'm gonna hang the walls
for a half-bath, that is, an enclosed shower. I live in Albuquerque,
where the relative humidity is usually near 20%, so a lot of the things
that happen in other places simply don't happen here.

The shower will be enclosed with tile. My question is whether treated
drywall will be alright as a subsurface, or will I live to regret
wanting to go that way? I find drywall easier to work with than
hardibacker, as well as cheaper.

What do you think?

Happy Holiday.
--
Uno
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 2:18*pm, Uno wrote:
I'm at the point in a bathroom remodel where I'm gonna hang the walls
for a half-bath, that is, an enclosed shower. *I live in Albuquerque,
where the relative humidity is usually near 20%, so a lot of the things
that happen in other places simply don't happen here.

The shower will be enclosed with tile. *My question is whether treated
drywall will be alright as a subsurface, or will I live to regret
wanting to go that way? *I find drywall easier to work with than
hardibacker, as well as cheaper.

What do you think?

Happy Holiday.
--
Uno

I hate drywall in he shower. You should always use cement board or
Hardibacker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 May 2011 12:18:55 -0600, Uno wrote:

I'm at the point in a bathroom remodel where I'm gonna hang the walls
for a half-bath, that is, an enclosed shower. I live in Albuquerque,
where the relative humidity is usually near 20%, so a lot of the things
that happen in other places simply don't happen here.

The shower will be enclosed with tile. My question is whether treated
drywall will be alright as a subsurface, or will I live to regret
wanting to go that way? I find drywall easier to work with than
hardibacker, as well as cheaper.

What do you think?

Use Hardibacker, or equivalent. Sheetrock is not intended to be used in wet
locations. Sheetrock is a little cheaper, sure, but do you want to do this
job again? I don't find Hardibacker that much more difficult than sheetrock,
just be a little more careful with the dust. Cutting it outside is good. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uno wrote the following:
I'm at the point in a bathroom remodel where I'm gonna hang the walls
for a half-bath, that is, an enclosed shower. I live in Albuquerque,
where the relative humidity is usually near 20%, so a lot of the
things that happen in other places simply don't happen here.

The shower will be enclosed with tile. My question is whether treated
drywall will be alright as a subsurface, or will I live to regret
wanting to go that way? I find drywall easier to work with than
hardibacker, as well as cheaper.

What do you think?

Happy Holiday.

Green board (a waterproof gypsum board made for bathrooms). It doesn't
matter what the outside humidity is, the shower, and sink make their own
own humidity.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

On 5/30/2011 12:03 PM, Mikepier wrote:

I hate drywall in he shower. You should always use cement board or
Hardibacker.

Does using drywall present a problem with laying tile itself? (For
example, not adhering and having them fall off a vertical surface)
--
Uno

Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

On 5/30/2011 2:39 PM, willshak wrote:

Green board (a waterproof gypsum board made for bathrooms). It doesn't
matter what the outside humidity is, the shower, and sink make their own
own humidity.

I happened to have something that measured temp and relative humidity in
my steamy shower this morning. It gets up to 40% but returns to 20
within the hour.
--
Uno