Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default 20amp GFCI outlet on a 15amp circuit. melted wires

On May 30, 9:56*am, "RBM" wrote:

** I rarely find burn outs from improperly connected Edison circuits. I'd
have to say that a good percentage of Edison circuits that I explore, are
incorrectly done. Typically, I just find the white wire turns brown from the
excessive heat, right at the neutral buss.
*The OP has a classic, loose connection under a wire nut, with a high
amperage draw, over time anneals the copper, degrades and overheats the
connection to the point of disintegration, and opens the circuit.

Right, except how often do you open up a switch box which has
multiple circuits fed into it and see ALL of the white neutral wires
connected together ?

I never said it had to be an Edison circuit, just that if someone had
made an incorrect connection somewhere upstream and connected
the neutral wires from more than one circuit together that could cause
the exact same issue...

Given that the bathroom outlet was replaced with one with a higher
rating by someone who obviously didn't know what they were doing
all bets are off -- there could be several factors which added up to
cause that burn out...

Again, no one seems to know what else besides the one GFCI
bathroom outlet is also on the same circuit...

~~ Evan