Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 20amp GFCI outlet on a 15amp circuit. melted wires

On May 29, 3:21*am, Evan wrote:
On May 28, 5:08*pm, Ziggs wrote:

When the hair dryer is on, our 15AMP circuit breaker has been tripping
lately to the bathroom's outlet. *Sometimes my wife sees a tiny flash
when the power to the outlet goes out. *I just looked at the outlet
and it's a 20amp GFCI on the 15AMP circuit breaker. *I just looked at
the three neutral wires on the other side of the pigtail and they are
melted.

So, here are a copy of questions

1. Should I replace the outlet with a 15AMP GFIC instead of the 20AMP?
2. Can I just cut back the wires that are melted and put in a new
pigtail or should the wires coming into the outlet box be inspected or
possible *replaced?

@Ziggs:

What else besides the bathroom is connected to the 15amp
circuit in question which "nuisance trips" whenever you use a
hair dryer in the bathroom ? *There has to be a lot more on
that circuit than just the bathroom if the neutral wires "melted"...

Melting is more typically caused by a poor connection
that has some resistance. That resistance produces
heat.