Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 20amp GFCI outlet on a 15amp circuit. melted wires

Would be nice to know the size of the wire that feeds the
outlet. 14 AWG uses a 15 amp breaker, 12 AWG can use a 20
amp breaker.

The totally ideal repair is to replace the wire, use 12 AWG
Romex. 20 amp breaker, and 20 amp GFCI outlet. In th ereal
world, it's sometimes not practical to replace the wire.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ziggs" wrote in message
When the hair dryer is on, our 15AMP circuit breaker has
been tripping
lately to the bathroom's outlet. Sometimes my wife sees a
tiny flash
when the power to the outlet goes out. I just looked at the
outlet
and it's a 20amp GFCI on the 15AMP circuit breaker. I just
looked at
the three neutral wires on the other side of the pigtail and
they are
melted.

So, here are a copy of questions

1. Should I replace the outlet with a 15AMP GFIC instead of
the 20AMP?
2. Can I just cut back the wires that are melted and put in
a new
pigtail or should the wires coming into the outlet box be
inspected or
possible replaced?