Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Leaking Hose

"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 May 2011 18:38:28 -0700, Erik wrote:

In article ,
Erik wrote:

I've got a great all-rubber Craftsman house that has sat out 24x7 for

over
20 years, most of it pressurized. It's been frozen with water

inside, run
over and abused but has always worked. But recently the coupling at

the
nozzle end was run over and now is slightly out of round. Nothing

sort of
retapping or reforming it into a perfect circle will keep it from

leaking.
Tried O-ring, Teflon tape, Teflon rope, nothing. It's a common "end

of the
road" for hoses, even good ones. Next time I'll look for one that

won't
deform if run over on the gravel driveway.

--
Bobby G.

Look for cracks in the bottom of the threads first. You might need a
magnifying glass if your eyes are like mine. Sometimes, you can even

see
light coming through if you hold the end up to a light source.

Sears will replace those all rubber Craftsman hoses... bent, cracked
and/or otherwise, no questions asked and no receipt required... take it
back and get a new one. That's the main reason you originally paid a
premium price for it.

Replacing the end might void the warranty... but suspect the individual
employee you end up dealing with will really be the determining factor.

If cracked, no amount of straightening, washers or sealer will help...

Erik

More... look for hose's with ends machined out of brass... not stamped
out of sheet metal.

While it is possible to damage machined brass ends, it's difficult. They
are by far the best available.

Erik

I recently had a black rubber hose (Craftsman) replaced at Sears. No
questions asked. The new hoses have machined brass fittings. The old
hose was many years old and had some damage on the end thread.

Made about the third hose they have given me over the years - free!

Did you have to show a receipt? I am not sure I could find mine after 20+
years but it does need to go because of the out-of-round problem.

H:LotS