Posted to alt.home.repair
Ben Ben is offline

Default Leaking Hose

Hello,

I recently bought a brand new hose and screwed it as tightly as I
could (by hand) to the spigot (I've never actually used this spigot
before and it's pretty old). When I turned the water on, some came
out of the other end of the hose, but a significant amount was
spraying out of the top of the hose. In looking closely at it, the
water was coming out of a gap between the 'collar' of the hose, and
the hose itself. In looking at it, it seems like there's a gasket in
the end of the hose, and perhaps I wasn't tightening the hose enough
to create a seal between the end of the spigot and the gasket in the
hose. Is there a solution for this? Get a wrench and tighten even
more? Get another gasket and put a second one into the hose?

Thanks in advance!

-Ben
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 2:26*pm, Ben wrote:
Hello,

I recently bought a brand new hose and screwed it as tightly as I
could (by hand) to the spigot (I've never actually used this spigot
before and it's pretty old). *When I turned the water on, some came
out of the other end of the hose, but a significant amount was
spraying out of the top of the hose. *In looking closely at it, the
water was coming out of a gap between the 'collar' of the hose, and
the hose itself. *In looking at it, it seems like there's a gasket in
the end of the hose, and perhaps I wasn't tightening the hose enough
to create a seal between the end of the spigot and the gasket in the
hose. *Is there a solution for this? *Get a wrench and tighten even
more? *Get another gasket and put a second one into the hose?

Thanks in advance!

-Ben

Try cleaning off the hose and the spigot and then spraying some non-
stick frying pan stuff on the threads and redo. That might be
enough. also, bedure the washer/gqasket in the hose is seated all the
way. Some have tqabs that stick out and keep you from seating it all
the way toward the hose, altho tht would cause a leak between the
fitting and the hose, not between the hose and the spigot. If still
leaking, a pair of slip-joint pliers is usually all that is needed,
nothing as big as a pipe wrench.
Posted to alt.home.repair

FWIW most hoses come with cheap hard washers that don't work very
well. Do yourself a favor and get the fat black O ring type washers
that compress and seal well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ben wrote:
Hello,

I recently bought a brand new hose and screwed it as tightly as I
could (by hand) to the spigot (I've never actually used this spigot
before and it's pretty old). When I turned the water on, some came
out of the other end of the hose, but a significant amount was
spraying out of the top of the hose. In looking closely at it, the
water was coming out of a gap between the 'collar' of the hose, and
the hose itself. In looking at it, it seems like there's a gasket in
the end of the hose, and perhaps I wasn't tightening the hose enough
to create a seal between the end of the spigot and the gasket in the
hose. Is there a solution for this? Get a wrench and tighten even
more? Get another gasket and put a second one into the hose?

Try the hose on another spigot. If it still leaks, the hose is at fault. If
there is no leak, the original faucet is the culprit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've got a great all-rubber Craftsman house that has sat out 24x7 for over
20 years, most of it pressurized. It's been frozen with water inside, run
over and abused but has always worked. But recently the coupling at the
nozzle end was run over and now is slightly out of round. Nothing sort of
retapping or reforming it into a perfect circle will keep it from leaking.
Tried O-ring, Teflon tape, Teflon rope, nothing. It's a common "end of the
road" for hoses, even good ones. Next time I'll look for one that won't
deform if run over on the gravel driveway.

--
Bobby G.

Look for cracks in the bottom of the threads first. You might need a
magnifying glass if your eyes are like mine. Sometimes, you can even see
light coming through if you hold the end up to a light source.

Sears will replace those all rubber Craftsman hoses... bent, cracked
and/or otherwise, no questions asked and no receipt required... take it
back and get a new one. That's the main reason you originally paid a
premium price for it.

Replacing the end might void the warranty... but suspect the individual
employee you end up dealing with will really be the determining factor.

If cracked, no amount of straightening, washers or sealer will help...

Erik

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Erik wrote:

[...]

More... look for hose's with ends machined out of brass... not stamped
out of sheet metal.

While it is possible to damage machined brass ends, it's difficult. They
are by far the best available.

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 May 2011 18:38:28 -0700, Erik wrote:

In article ,
Erik wrote:

[...]

I recently had a black rubber hose (Craftsman) replaced at Sears. No
questions asked. The new hoses have machined brass fittings. The old
hose was many years old and had some damage on the end thread.

Made about the third hose they have given me over the years - free!

Did you have to show a receipt? I am not sure I could find mine after 20+
years but it does need to go because of the out-of-round problem.

H:LotS

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote in message ...

I've got a great all-rubber Craftsman house that has sat out 24x7 for over
20 years, most of it pressurized. It's been frozen with water inside, run
over and abused but has always worked. But recently the coupling at the
nozzle end was run over and now is slightly out of round. Nothing sort of
retapping or reforming it into a perfect circle will keep it from leaking.
Tried O-ring, Teflon tape, Teflon rope, nothing. It's a common "end of
the
road" for hoses, even good ones. Next time I'll look for one that won't
deform if run over on the gravel driveway.

When that happened to one of our hoses I went to the local hardware store
and got a replacement fitting (Gilmour--actually made in America) which took
me a few minutes to install. It's worked just fine every since.

http://www.gilmour.com/garden-hose/hose-repair-2/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"beecrofter" wrote in message
FWIW most hoses come with cheap hard washers that don't work very
well. Do yourself a favor and get the fat black O ring type washers
that compress and seal well.

Did that, still leaked although the O-ring did a better job than the washer,
it still hissed and chattered like a demented squirrel (spraying water as it
"sang") whenever I changed position with the hose. Once the threads are
buggered, maintaining a leakproof seal is close to impossible.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message

as long as hose says craftsman yu get a new one for free, no paperwork
needed

Which would require me to burn five bucks in gas just to get to Sears and
back, while I can walk to the local hardware store and stop off at the local
pup for a beer and sandwich on the way back. Not a hard choice for me.

Besides, those free replacements from Sears rarely seem to be off equivalent
quality today, they'll try to replace the old quality product with some
plastic piece of crap made in China. I'd rather fix the good one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DGDevin wrote:

"bob haller" wrote in message

as long as hose says craftsman yu get a new one for free, no paperwork
needed

Which would require me to burn five bucks in gas just to get to Sears
and back, while I can walk to the local hardware store and stop off at
the local pup for a beer and sandwich on the way back. Not a hard
choice for me.

Besides, those free replacements from Sears rarely seem to be off
equivalent quality today, they'll try to replace the old quality product
with some plastic piece of crap made in China. I'd rather fix the good
one.

Yer right there... I returned a failed Craftsman oscillating lawn
sprinklre and they did replace it for free, but the replacement didn't
say "Craftsman" on it and the guy handling the swap told me if the new
one failed I'd be SOL as far as another replacement went.

Jeff

Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 8:27*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 29 May 2011 19:31:40 -0400, jeff_wisnia

wrote:
Besides, those free replacements from Sears rarely seem to be off
equivalent quality today, they'll try to replace the old quality product
with some plastic piece of crap made in China. *I'd rather fix the good
one.

Yer right there... I returned a failed Craftsman oscillating lawn
sprinklre and they did replace it for free, but the replacement didn't
say "Craftsman" on it and the guy handling the swap told me if the new
one failed I'd be SOL as far as another replacement went.

Jeff

Even 10 or more years ago they replaced hand tool -- *3/8 ratchet with
"refurbished". Still works.

Sears no longer owns the craftsman name, they are a licensee

This is probably a good thing Sears K Mart is near bankruptcy, they
are close to going out of business
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,

wrote:
Besides, those free replacements from Sears rarely seem to be off
equivalent quality today, they'll try to replace the old quality product
with some plastic piece of crap made in China. *I'd rather fix the good
one.

Yer right there... I returned a failed Craftsman oscillating lawn
sprinklre and they did replace it for free, but the replacement didn't
say "Craftsman" on it and the guy handling the swap told me if the new
one failed I'd be SOL as far as another replacement went.

Jeff

Even 10 or more years ago they replaced hand tool -- *3/8 ratchet with
"refurbished". Still works.

Sears no longer owns the craftsman name, they are a licensee

This is probably a good thing Sears K Mart is near bankruptcy, they
are close to going out of business

Interesting...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craftsman_(tools)

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 2:22*am, Erik wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
[...]

Erik- Hide quoted text -

When K mart in bankruptcy itself bought sears the new merged company
sold off all non retail assets like NTB, allstate insurance,
craftsman, kenmore was up for sale I dont know if it was sold.

the sold off everything non retail to pay down debt.

now historically Sears owned all the non retail to protect the company
in economic down times.

which is why sears is in bad shape...... they are 100% dependent on
retail.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message

the sold off everything non retail to pay down debt.

now historically Sears owned all the non retail to protect the company
in economic down times.

which is why sears is in bad shape...... they are 100% dependent on
retail.......

I read an article about Sears some years back that said at one point 6% of
the U.S. economy flowed through one branch or another of the Sears
empire--just goes to show what bad management can do to a once successful
company. Today Sears is so low on my list of places to shop I rarely even
think of going there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2011 3:26 PM, DGDevin wrote:

"bob haller" wrote in message

the sold off everything non retail to pay down debt.

now historically Sears owned all the non retail to protect the company
in economic down times.

which is why sears is in bad shape...... they are 100% dependent on
retail.......

I read an article about Sears some years back that said at one point
6% of the U.S. economy flowed through one branch or another of the
Sears empire--just goes to show what bad management can do to a once
successful company. Today Sears is so low on my list of places to
shop I rarely even think of going there.

I go there every blue moon. Seems really disorganized but they have a
good selection. Usually fairly good quality. We have one of the "Grand"
Sears. The thing is the size of three football fields. I will inevitably
end up on the wrong side of the store a couple of times. I don't like
going there or Walmart. Too big.

Jim

leaking dishwasher drain hose Jason Kraftcheck Home Repair 1 October 16th 08 02:16 AM
Leaking hose bib rile Home Repair 2 April 13th 07 12:14 AM
Leaking anti-siphon garden hose faucet [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 8th 06 04:58 PM
fa: air hose/water/hydraulic/?? fiarleads (roller thingies to guide the hose when you pull it off a reel) William B Noble (don't reply to this address) Metalworking 0 February 25th 06 06:25 AM
hose faucet question: hose bibbs versus sillcocks pat Home Repair 3 June 14th 04 01:19 PM