Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alarm System Contacts

On 5/28/2011 11:26 AM, G. Morgan wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:

One, alarm people don't know what the hell they're talking about. Words
become meaningless when one group of people decide to throw out the real
definition and use their own.

Smitty,

Alarm people 'do' know what they're talking about. You can blame the
manufacturers for the vernacular confusion, but 'alarm people" know.

Come on over to alt.security.alarms for further discussion if it bothers
you. I'm sure some of my colleges can define the reason better than I.

People in different industries using the same types of technology often
have different terminology for the same process. I've worked across many
fields over the years so I'm well aware of it. In alarm tech, normal
state is considered the secured state. Which means the magnet
is against the magnetic switch closing the circuit which is usually
a supervised circuit with a set resistance in the loop. In the field of
electronics or control systems the normal state is considered to be no
outside force affecting a switch. As a broadcast engineer working with
remote signals, I had to work with engineers and techs with the phone
company. To get a higher signal level, the radio guy will say "increase
the gain", the phone tech won't grok that unless I told them to "lessen
the loss". Same technology, different dialect. ^_^

TDD