Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Sealing blacktop driveway

On May 28, 8:36*am, Frank wrote:
On 5/27/2011 9:46 AM, Tony Miklos wrote:

This is not a do it yourself job, it's 1/10 mile long with a big parking
area up top. Everyone seems to use this emulsion that goes right on the
freshly washed and still wet blacktop. Guy in town who has the good name
and referrals uses it too, said there is also sand in it. I'm waiting
for an estimate.

What ever happened to tar and chip/oil and chip? It's still done on some
roads so I'd think it's good. Is it more costly? My drive is about 7 or
8 years old and I'm told I'm overdue for a coating. It does have a few
cracks but for the most part I've filled them with the same tar used to
waterproof below grade basement walls. Seems to work well and I added
layers of sand when the crack didn't want to fill up.

So what's the best and most cost effective process to keep my driveway
in good condition?

You could still DYI. *You don't have to do it all at once.
I just had my drive resurfaced and I figure I can coat it myself next
year for about 25% of what installer has quoted if he were to do it next
year.

I got over 35 years out of the old drive by coating every several years.

Asphalt only consists of about 10% tar and rest is sand and rocks. *If
enough moisture gets through or penetrates, freezing and thawing cause
deterioration. *This is why coating helps preserve by keeping out moisture.

shop around for the 5 gallon pails of sealer, you may find its cheaper
to have a company do it since they buy sealer at a big discount in a
tanker truck