Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sealing blacktop driveway

This is not a do it yourself job, it's 1/10 mile long with a big parking
area up top. Everyone seems to use this emulsion that goes right on the
freshly washed and still wet blacktop. Guy in town who has the good
name and referrals uses it too, said there is also sand in it. I'm
waiting for an estimate.

What ever happened to tar and chip/oil and chip? It's still done on
some roads so I'd think it's good. Is it more costly? My drive is
about 7 or 8 years old and I'm told I'm overdue for a coating. It does
have a few cracks but for the most part I've filled them with the same
tar used to waterproof below grade basement walls. Seems to work well
and I added layers of sand when the crack didn't want to fill up.

So what's the best and most cost effective process to keep my driveway
in good condition?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 9:46*am, Tony Miklos wrote:
This is not a do it yourself job, it's 1/10 mile long with a big parking
area up top. *Everyone seems to use this emulsion that goes right on the
freshly washed and still wet blacktop. *Guy in town who has the good
name and referrals uses it too, said there is also sand in it. *I'm
waiting for an estimate.

What ever happened to tar and chip/oil and chip? *It's still done on
some roads so I'd think it's good. *Is it more costly? *My drive is
about 7 or 8 years old and I'm told I'm overdue for a coating. *It does
have a few cracks but for the most part I've filled them with the same
tar used to waterproof below grade basement walls. *Seems to work well
and I added layers of sand when the crack didn't want to fill up.

So what's the best and most cost effective process to keep my driveway
in good condition?

Tar and chip is for surfaces that have failed, and property owner is
attemting to get a few more years from whats left....

so seal your cracks clean surface extra perfect and seal...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/27/2011 9:46 AM, Tony Miklos wrote:
This is not a do it yourself job, it's 1/10 mile long with a big parking
area up top. Everyone seems to use this emulsion that goes right on the
freshly washed and still wet blacktop. Guy in town who has the good name
and referrals uses it too, said there is also sand in it. I'm waiting
for an estimate.

What ever happened to tar and chip/oil and chip? It's still done on some
roads so I'd think it's good. Is it more costly? My drive is about 7 or
8 years old and I'm told I'm overdue for a coating. It does have a few
cracks but for the most part I've filled them with the same tar used to
waterproof below grade basement walls. Seems to work well and I added
layers of sand when the crack didn't want to fill up.

So what's the best and most cost effective process to keep my driveway
in good condition?

You could still DYI. You don't have to do it all at once.
I just had my drive resurfaced and I figure I can coat it myself next
year for about 25% of what installer has quoted if he were to do it next
year.

I got over 35 years out of the old drive by coating every several years.

Asphalt only consists of about 10% tar and rest is sand and rocks. If
enough moisture gets through or penetrates, freezing and thawing cause
deterioration. This is why coating helps preserve by keeping out moisture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 8:36*am, Frank wrote:
[...]

shop around for the 5 gallon pails of sealer, you may find its cheaper
to have a company do it since they buy sealer at a big discount in a
tanker truck
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 May 2011 04:44:31 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On May 27, 9:46Â*am, Tony Miklos wrote:
This is not a do it yourself job, it's 1/10 mile long with a big parking
area up top. Â*Everyone seems to use this emulsion that goes right on the
freshly washed and still wet blacktop. Â*Guy in town who has the good
name and referrals uses it too, said there is also sand in it. Â*I'm
waiting for an estimate.

What ever happened to tar and chip/oil and chip? Â*It's still done on
some roads so I'd think it's good. Â*Is it more costly? Â*My drive is
about 7 or 8 years old and I'm told I'm overdue for a coating. Â*It does
have a few cracks but for the most part I've filled them with the same
tar used to waterproof below grade basement walls. Â*Seems to work well
and I added layers of sand when the crack didn't want to fill up.

So what's the best and most cost effective process to keep my driveway
in good condition?

Tar and chip is for surfaces that have failed, and property owner is
attemting to get a few more years from whats left....

so seal your cracks clean surface extra perfect and seal...

Actually, tar and chip is "macadam" and is a separate type of pavement
- it is totally different than hot-pour asphalt pavement.

Tar and chip on top of asphalt doesn't work terribly well. Nor does
"cold patch"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2011 12:05 PM, bob haller wrote:
On May 28, 8:36 am, wrote:
[...]

You might think that but guy that did my drive was saying something like
$400 to come back and seal it and last time I did it I paid less than
$100 for sealer. My back, not being as good as it used to be, I asked a
son over to help with the heavy lifting/pouring and it probably only
took us a little over an hour to do the drive. OP's drive sounds maybe
5X mine's but if he has the health and the time, he could DYI and save a
lot of money although proportionately less as transportation and time
costs are factored over a bigger job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 27, 9:46Â am, Tony wrote:
[...]

On the few country 2-laners the county bothers to maintain around here,
'chip seal', aka tar and chip, is how they maintain them. Each road gets
done maybe every 4th or 5th year. Of course, this being a broke salt
country state, they have severe road budget problems, especially after a
snowy winter, and many of the lesser-used roads are being reverted to
gravel. Civilization- it was nice while it lasted.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 27, 9:46Â am, Tony wrote:
[...]

In virtually ALL cases where a county "maintains" the road with tar
and chip it is a macadam surface to start with, not hot-laid asphalt.

Macadam roads were once the norm up here for rural thoroughfares, but
counties found that dollar for dollar, the more expensive asphalt is a
better deal, so macadam is now quite rare up here in Central Ontario.

With hot-laid asphalt they can grind off the top surface and re-lay it
several times before it needs to be torn up and totally re-done. (if
they catch it on time, before the base has been destroyed by
frost-boils.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 27, 9:46 am, Tony wrote:
[...]

Actually John McAdam(s) invented the way to spread stone then roll it,
like lots of driveways are still done today. After his roads washed
out, good ol' John covered the packed stone with tar to hold it in
place, that was called "Tarmac" for short, a name still used for airport
runways. I come from an area where as a kid the word "macadam" was
often used in place of asphalt/blacktop/paved. After using the term
down here in TN and being questioned about it, I did some research and
learned the above.

Tar and chip on top of asphalt doesn't work terribly well. Nor does
"cold patch"

Tar and chip is popular up in PA on older paved roads, they do it down
here too but not as much. That's only big road crews, they don't want
to mess with a driveway.

Thanks for all the responses, I'll wait for the estimate on coating it.
And yes, for me to buy the coating would probably cost me as much or
more than for someone else to do the whole job for me. 1/10 mile drive
isn't exaggerating, plus the parking area.