Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default An interesting and good outcome!

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ted Frater fired this volley in news:O2HDp.9947$8
2:

5.You would have done better to find a good s/hand machine of US make
even if it was 20 yrs old ,Youd have paid less and known what you were
getting.

You assume a lot, and have come in on this conversation about three weeks
late of where the episode began.

You assume I did not explore used American iron before choosing this one.
I did.

You assume I did not actually see, touch, and run one of this model lathe
before ordering. I did.

You seem to assume I didn't know ahead of time I'd be getting a brown box
from China. I did... have done before. Will again.

Too many assumptions about a matter you never commented on until well
after all that had been dealt with here.

LLoyd

thanks for the background to your lathe procurement.
I generally dont come in on a thread till others nearer to you have,
Ive a very nice American iron 15 by 30 lathe, Le Blond royal 1942
came as a present from uncle Sam on lease lend, all those yrs ago, and
Ive had it some 30 yrs.
A great lathe, good still to 1/2 tho.
Surprised there wasnt such a tool near you at a reasonable price.
I paid some $200.00 for mine inc delivery, and had some big metal in
it. The largest was a hammer head for my Drop stamp some 10 in dia by
3ft long.
Had to lift it into the lathe with a crane.!!
I follow most machinery threads here and have done for some 15 yrs.
Hope you eventually get what you paid for!!
If you want to know what I do Google for Ted Frater Bronzesmith and minter.
Ask Ed Huntress,
Ted Frater
In Dorset
UK.