Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Tomlinson Mike Tomlinson is offline

Default OT - Airport Queues for Bag Drop Off

En el artículo , Lobster davidlobs
escribió:

We (family of five) almost always fly with the bucket-shop flights; to
be honest we just treat it as a game to avoid paying all the surcharges
they dream up.

A good way to approach it )

Normally it's perfectly possible to avoid the vast
majority of the charges if you do your research properly and read all
the small print.

indeed.

We have a little set of electronic scales (£3 off
ebay) which travels with us; we always check the baggage size and
allocation rigourously.

I use my bathroom scales before going out and take my chances coming
back. Usually I leave some clothes and books behind.

I have a story though: a friend came to stay with me over Christmas.
When it was time for him to go home, we weighed his case on my bathroom
scales at 14.7kg. At check-in the scales claimed 16.8kg and we settled
in for an argument (futile, I know). As it happened, the belt next to
the one we were at was vacant and I put his bag on it: 14.5kg. But the
dweeb behind the counter wouldn't back down. Either we paid up or he
didn't fly.

I won't go so far as to accuse Ryanair of putting a thumb on the scales
but that was too much of a coincidence for my liking.

With Easyjet (no numbered seats) we refuse to
pay for "priority boarding" but by getting near the front of the
boarding queue we never have a problem getting seats together.

Never had a problem with Easy, I quite like them. I think their market
positioning is more or less "at least we're not Ryanair".

Last trip, for once we cocked up and miscounted the baggage allowance
and got stung with a £50 surcharge at the counter - ouch: a lot more
than the airline ticket and probably more than the bag and contents were
even worth.

Last time I flew Ryan (last month), coming back I was 1kg over the limit
and they stung me with a 20 euro surcharge. Like you, I just shrugged
and paid up. They make the Ts & Cs perfectly clear. If you don't like
it, don't fly with them.

We regard the trip as a means to an end to get somewhere nice; two or
three hours after leaving home we're at our destination, many hundreds
of pounds better off than if we'd travelled by a more up-market airline.

I think, being a family, you can save more. Usually travelling single,
I find that if I compare the total cost of a Ryan booking to another
airline I can come pretty close, especially if I use sites like
skyscanner.net.

Except that the reality is that without the availability of such cheap
tickets, we probably wouldn't have travelled at all.

I wish this so-called global warming would start doing its thing in the
UK, then we wouldn't have to travel at all )

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)