Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default OT - Airport Queues for Bag Drop Off

On 27/05/2011 10:35, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el , DerbyBoyNo-
escribió:

I returned yesterday from Furteventura. The queue to merely drop off luggage
for the Ryanair Flight was really annoying.

You cheaped out and went with Ryanair*. Stop whinging and deal with it.

* actually, I've flown with them a few times. By the time you factor in
all the additional hidden charges, it's usually not far off the cost of
a flight with a scheduled airline where you get an allocated seat,
shorter queues, a more generous baggage allocation, decent food and
don't get treated like ****.

We (family of five) almost always fly with the bucket-shop flights; to
be honest we just treat it as a game to avoid paying all the surcharges
they dream up. Normally it's perfectly possible to avoid the vast
majority of the charges if you do your research properly and read all
the small print. We have a little set of electronic scales (£3 off
ebay) which travels with us; we always check the baggage size and
allocation rigourously. With Easyjet (no numbered seats) we refuse to
pay for "priority boarding" but by getting near the front of the
boarding queue we never have a problem getting seats together. I
certainly share the OP's frustration with the muppets who insist on
arguing with the check-in staff and repacking their bags at the counter.

Last trip, for once we cocked up and miscounted the baggage allowance
and got stung with a £50 surcharge at the counter - ouch: a lot more
than the airline ticket and probably more than the bag and contents were
even worth. No point arguing; we just paid up.

We regard the trip as a means to an end to get somewhere nice; two or
three hours after leaving home we're at our destination, many hundreds
of pounds better off than if we'd travelled by a more up-market airline.
Except that the reality is that without the availability of such cheap
tickets, we probably wouldn't have travelled at all.

David