Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Obama in Westminster (not)

Tim W wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Tim W wrote:

It is quite a piece of work. TBH I don't think anyone could build it
again now, not for any money, not for any number of suits with
clipboards and laptops, Not unless you started by growing the trees
while you trained carpenters from boyhood.

Indeed - quite a piece of work. Could not be built again now? Bull.
It's nice to romanticise the artisans of the past and fool ourselves
into believing that they are somehow different fromn the artisans of
today- if that's what really makes you feel good. But... it's just
not true. So - let's throw this over into your court and ask you
just exactly how you feel these older artisans were so much better
empowered to produce so works of art?

It isn't an argument which goes 'can be done'/'can't be done'. If the
Irish put a bomb in it or it caught fire it would be rebuilt. There
is no question that it can be rebuilt but also that it can never be
rebuilt the same as it was. What I am saying is that the work is so
big, so elaborate and so totally medieval and 'of it's time' that no
amount of money and technology could rebuild it so that it was really
like the old one.

Snip...

Maybe I have gone on a bit lol.

Nah - you went on just fine. Sorry - I completely missed your original
intended position. My bad - I will now go back to my corner and sit facing
it...

--

-Mike-