Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default OT - Airport Queues for Bag Drop Off

On 27/05/2011 10:10, John wrote:
DerbyBoy wrote:
I returned yesterday from Furteventura. The queue to merely drop off
luggage for the Ryanair Flight was really annoying. It took me 90
minutes to get the the front of the queue. We then had to run to the
gate and had no time for a drink in the Departures area. The issue
seemed to be that some passengers had baggage or documentation
problems to argue about. My suggestion is simple - for all airlines /
handling agents /
airports. If the transaction cannot be completed within (say) one
minute then the passenger is sent to the back of the queue.
Baggage Drop Off should only take seconds. It is only a case of
dropping bag onto conveyor - showing document and passport. 1minute
is ample time. Anyone with an expected complication should first go
to the appropriate airline enquiry desk.
What do you think? It really is frustrating standing in the queue
whilst people re-pack their luggage as they didn't comply with their
contract conditions.

You're obviously a seasoned flyer but some people aren't. If, like me,
you've never flown anywhere in your life, it's not surprising that some
people make mistakes in a first-time, never before been known, situation.

I would expect anyone flying for the first time to do a bit of research
beforehand. It is not as if the information is not readily available.
Mind you, a lot of the people taking a Ryanair flight from Furventura to
the UK would probably be on at least their second flight.

thought that you had to be at the airport at least two hours before
departure? Did you not get there early enough?

He was returning to the UK. For many people, that means being at the
mercy of a tour operator as to when they get to the airport.

Colin Bignell