Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul - xxx[_2_] Paul - xxx[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Airport Queues for Bag Drop Off

DerbyBoy wrote:

I returned yesterday from Furteventura. The queue to merely drop off
luggage for the Ryanair Flight was really annoying. It took me 90
minutes to get the the front of the queue. We then had to run to the
gate and had no time for a drink in the Departures area. The issue
seemed to be that some passengers had baggage or documentation
problems to argue about. My suggestion is simple - for all airlines
/ handling agents / airports. If the transaction cannot be completed
within (say) one minute then the passenger is sent to the back of the
queue. Baggage Drop Off should only take seconds. It is only a case
of dropping bag onto conveyor - showing document and passport.
1minute is ample time. Anyone with an expected complication should
first go to the appropriate airline enquiry desk. What do you think?
It really is frustrating standing in the queue whilst people re-pack
their luggage as they didn't comply with their contract conditions.

What's really annoying is the wife and I take some pains to comply with
regs, (to the extent of taking my penknife off my keyring!) then some
pillock turns up, as you say, with the argument "but I thought ... " or
"When I fly XYZ Airline it's OK...) when clearly they hadn't either
thought or even read any directions/instructions!

So yes, if there's an issue they shouldn't necessarily be moved to the
back, but should maybe have a separate bag check and moved over away
from those who have proper documentation and bag sizes and can go
through in the 'usual' time.

--
Paul - xxx