Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default OT - Airport Queues for Bag Drop Off

"harry" wrote in message
On May 27, 8:27 am, "DerbyBoy" No-one wrote:
I returned yesterday from Furteventura. The queue to merely drop off
luggage
for the Ryanair Flight was really annoying. It took me 90 minutes to get
the
the front of the queue. We then had to run to the gate and had no time
for a
drink in the Departures area. The issue seemed to be that some passengers
had baggage or documentation problems to argue about.
My suggestion is simple - for all airlines / handling agents / airports.
If
the transaction cannot be completed within (say) one minute then the
passenger is sent to the back of the queue.
Baggage Drop Off should only take seconds. It is only a case of dropping
bag
onto conveyor - showing document and passport. 1minute is ample time.
Anyone
with an expected complication should first go to the appropriate airline
enquiry desk.
What do you think? It really is frustrating standing in the queue whilst
people re-pack their luggage as they didn't comply with their contract
conditions.

Huh. You get people bringing on stuff that should be in the hold as
"hand luggage" (To avoid waiting at the other end and charges with the
cheapies.)

I have got on (long haul) flights and found my luggage locker above my
seat full with other people's stuff. So I can't even fit my legitimate
stuff in.

I have a cure, I just pull it out and throw it on the deck and put
mine in. Does cause a row sometimes.

So you need to be glad your airline is sorting these ****s out.
KLM was the worst for not enforcing baggage rules.
Lufthansa was the best. If your bag didn't go through a hoop, it went
in the hold.
Never been with Ryanair. Full of chavs I suppose.

When I flew with Virgin Atlantic a few times ago, when all the security was
really high again, they were checking the sizes of carry-ons actually on the
jetway, just prior to the aircraft door. Any that didn't fit were taken off
the people there and then, to go in the hold. I liked that, because it's one
of my pet hates as well, and I too have moved people's 'hand' luggage out of
'my' overhead locker. Trouble is these days, you can't afford to get into
any altercation with other passengers, or especially cabin staff, and
particularly on trans-atlantic flights, otherwise you are likely to finish
up being branded an air rage merchant, and have the police waiting for you
at the other end ...

Next time I flew with them, it was of course back to normal. Hand luggage
big enough to fit a child in, plus a handbag, plus a laptop, and no-one from
Virgin taking a blind bit of notice, despite the size-checking fixtures at
the check-in desks, and the dire warnings about oversized cabin baggage.
From what I've seen though, if you think the situation is bad here, try an
internal flight in the U.S. You wouldn't believe the sizes of suitcase that
they get on with, and manage to ram into overhead lockers !

Arfa