Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Storing an old carburator

On Mon, 23 May 2011 10:36:37 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On May 23, 1:13*pm, jamesgangnc wrote:
On May 23, 12:35*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I just ordered a new carburator for my Honda lawn mower engine.

Since placing the order, I tried some Mechanic In A Bottle and it
improved the performance of my mower significantly. It's not 100%, but
if I hadn't already ordered the carb, I probably would wait a while.

Anyway, since the new one is on it's way, I'm going to change it, but
I don't see a need to throw out the old one just yet. I might just
keep it around as an emergency spare.

Should I choose to do that, what's the best way to clean it and store
it to keep "fresh" so if I ever need it (years from now?) it'll still
work?

BTW - Plano Power equipment has a great website for outdoor power
equipment - especially parts for Honda engines and genrators.

http://www.planopower.com/

You'd be better off just canceliing the order or trying to sell.
Stockpiling parts for a mower is not very smart. *Just buy the part
when you need it.

If you really wish to keep a spare then keep the new one.- Hide quoted text -

The order has already shipped and the cost of the new carb and gaskets
($20) isn't worth the trouble of trying to re-sell.

As I said, the mower isn't 100% so I'm going to replace the carb
anyway. It would be nice to have a spare just in case the mower has a
problem mid-season and I'm stuck without it for lack of a $15 part.

Besides, if I keep the part on the shelf, I'll never need it. If I
toss it, the new one will fail the day after Waste Management empties
my can. ;-)

What you could do is buy a junk carburetor and put that in the box the
new one came in and throw it away. That may fool the old carb into
failing the next day.

My mother had a Zenith tv, very nice, 1975, and it broke
intermittently and the repairman said 7 tubes were bad and it was 100
or 150 to repair it. That was a lot in 1975 so she waited for me to
come. Every time I came to visit, it worked, and I'm not clever
enough to fix it then. Finally I went home without telling my mother
I was coming and I caught the tv not working and went straight to
fixing it before it knew I was there.

It turned out, one tube didn't light up, the socket was loose, I bent
the tab-lettes on one pin to make the socket tighter and it worked for
years after that.