Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Storing an old carburator

On 5/25/2011 9:22 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

I've bushed other things myself. Usually you can find a sleeve that
fits the item or can be drilled out to fit the item. Then just drill
the body to fit the sleeve. On a carb I'd also wonder if you could
peen the body such that the hole was smaller again and then clean it
up to fit the shaft with a file. Another possibility would be cutting
a groove in the shaft and fitting an o-ring. Or attaching a thick
washer to the outside that matches the shaft.

The principle is simple, agreed....

The issue I've had was that the toolset at hand is much more adapted to
stuff of the much heavier persuasion than a little single-cylinder carb
bowl since most work is farm equipment size. I wasn't set to try to
accurately align the carb for drilling out the bowl sides and keep
alignment to avoid potential for throttle to then bind if not quite true.

I kinda' like the idea of the exterior patch idea, that has some
possibilities. The one I last replaced was so far hogged out there
would be no hope of peening sufficient material to fill the gap, if I
could have kept it in there there was actually enough space I got a
chunk of shimstock around the shaft at one point--it help briefly, but
vibrated out after a couple uses.