Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Storing an old carburator

On Tue, 24 May 2011 09:29:49 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/24/2011 8:40 AM, jamesgangnc wrote: ...

For what it's worth I've never replaced one of those carbs on any of my
gas powered equipment. Simply cleaning it and replacing the gaskets
has always been enough. That yours improved with gas additive suggests
the same.

I've had to replace them on some equipment but it's generally after 20+
(to maybe 40 or more even) years. Old Zenith and the like will wear
around the throttle shaft so that air inleakage eventually becomes
intolerable and uncontrollable.

Yeah, it's getting pretty bad on both the old B+S engines that I have,
which are around 25 years old now. They use tiny grub screws to hold the
throttle stop onto the shaft too, and there's no chance of getting those
out after so many years - removing the stop is the only way of removing
the shaft.

Maybe I'll motivate myself to cut the stop off one sometime (and make
myself a replacement) if I can plan a way of adding bushes to the carb
body (which I expect is what's worn; the shaft's probably not too bad)

cheers

Jules