Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Is any of this false? Is any of this true?

On Tue, 24 May 2011 13:43:05 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Tue, 24 May 2011 11:16:13 -0500, JimT wrote:

Personally, I think, some people tend to treat their GD like trash cans
and a lot of the drain clogging issues could be solved by throwing waste
in the trash. Some women (I won't mention any names here) think the GD
is a magic device that can dispose of anything. Common sense tells you
that overuse can lead to problems. It doesn't help when some cities
actually encourage GD use to feed their green agendas.

I've never had a garbage disposal - or a clogged kitchen sink.
Food scraps always go in the garbage can.
I don't get garbage disposals.
Why do they exist?

Many of these things, like electric knives and hand held blenders were
created for the industrial or commercial markets, and then cheaper
versions were made for home use. I don't if disposals are in this
category. The place to look would be on the webpage of the first
maker, but sadly, many historic companies say nothing about their past
on their webpages, even when afaik there is nothing to be ashamed of.
(Others do give their history, but sometimes too short to be
interesting, and a few tell really interesting stories.)

I only use mine when little dribs keep the sink from draining, dribs
that are so small they would run right down the drain if the disposal
weren't in the way. I never put grease in the sink or anything else
I shouldn't or in the toilet, and I've never had a clog anywhere in
the house, except IN the disposal, which I clear by turning on the
disposal. Nor did my mother ever have a clog, when I lived with her
and when I didn't. So that's about 108 years between the two of us.

Last time one broke, I thought about getting rid of mine, but I would
need something to make the hole smaller, need to attach it so it
didn't leak, need a pipe to got to the pipe that is there, and then
when I sold the house, the real estate agent would tell me to put one
in.

I also don't really scrape my dishes before the dishwasher. Anything
that will fall off without scraping falls off, but the rest ends up in
that strainer in the bottom, where it gets repeately washed and after
3 or 4 times I think to look there and remove what little I find.
Once om 30 years the small drumstick bone did get past the strainer
and clog the vacuum break which is mounted to the sink, and then the
whole dishwasher wouldn't drain. Took 2 hours to find.

--Vic